Three guppies missing overnight!!!

KenzieMae

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 neons, a platty and 4 male guppies. Two of the guppies were brand new. All the fish seemed to be doing fine when I went to bed last night. When I woke up this morning, three of the guppies were gone. The lid was on and there is no sign they jumped out. We took apart the filter and they were not there. I moved all the plants and decorations, but nothing. There is no sign of the bodies or that any of them could be eaten. There is no way the platty fish could have eaten 3 in a matter of 9 hours, is there? We are just baffled and I'm very upset. I love my fish. I really want to know what could have happened. Thanks in advance.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hard to say, I doubt that all 3 were fully consumed by your other fish overnight. Usually there’s some sort of body. Possibly in the substrate somewhere? Sometimes they do seem to just disappear.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they 100% didnt jump out (if you have ANY little openings they CAN get through them) and get eaten by a cat or dog, then theyre in there somewhere. 2 Neons, a Platy and a Guppy cant eat 3 Guppies overnight.

Also, you have some stocking issues. You dont have much room in a 10 and you cant keep proper schools of those 3 fish in a 10. I would trade the Platy and Neons to the pet shop (or just give them to them if theyll take them) and get more Guppies. You can do 5-7 Males no problem in a 10 with some good decorating. Neons dont belong in a 10 regardless as theyre far too active, and on top of that theyre a schooling fish (like your Guppies & Platy) who want to be in a group of 6+.

Was your tank cycled before adding the fish? Have you tested the water recently?

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's pretty rare for platies to eat tetras, but if you've noticed it to be aggressive it could have happened. Just; three...? That would only happen if they are grossly underfed. Have you been making sure they all get their fair share of food?
Like DuaneV said, you have some stocking issues. Two neons cannot live happily in a ten. Give them back to the store, and up some platy & guppy numbers.
If not eaten, they must be somewhere. They could be buried in the substrate, or have jumped out. Look around some more.

OP
K

KenzieMae

Reaction score
They didn't jump out - we searched the area around. They could be in the gravel. I'm a very new fish owner and didn't realize the neons were not OK. The fish store said it would be fine. They are not open now due to Covid-19, so I can't take them back. All were well-fed. I watch that they all get enough. The guppies were fairly new. I took from a friend who ended up with about 45 in her tank - they multiplied.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
KenzieMae said:
They didn't jump out - we searched the area around. They could be in the gravel. I'm a very new fish owner and didn't realize the neons were not OK. The fish store said it would be fine. They are not open now due to Covid-19, so I can't take them back. All were well-fed. I watch that they all get enough. The guppies were fairly new. I took from a friend who ended up with about 45 in her tank - they multiplied.
Ooh! I like neons. They're pretty

New Threads