Three Catfish Of The Same Looks

MileyMorkie

Can’t resist fish with cute faces and especially these three algae eaters/catfish.
I already own Otocinclus catfish and they are adorable! I am aware they are wild caught but I can’t resist them.

I’ve been thinking to get Pygmy Corydoras catfish and Siamese Algae Eaters too. I have a lot of algae in my largest aquarium and snails don’t fit the bill. From the looks both seem identical in looks to Otocinclus catfish with colours, patterns and cute eyes (I’m a sucker for cute/derpy fish).

Is it possible to have all three coexist in my aquarium with my minnows and guppies?
(Edit): the tank is inhabited with guppies, minnows and Otocinclus. The tank is a glass 29 gallon planted, company that made it is Tetra. I can’t control my guppies so amounts will not be included into whether or not the fish in question are friendly with each other or the existing tank mates.

nikm128

I would think so, how big is the tank though?

MileyMorkie

nikm128

How many minnows, guppies, and ottos do you already have?

MileyMorkie

nikm128 said:
How many minnows, guppies, and ottos do you already have?
I have 2 Otocinclus (7 other ottos died from unknown causes), 2 minnows, and about 50 or so guppies.

nikm128

Because there are so many guppies I wouldn't add anything else now.

MileyMorkie

I am handing some guppies to friends and family. I sort of need to know if those 3 algae eaters/catfish will work in peace with each other?

nikm128

They should be fine, just only get one SAE

MileyMorkie

Alright, thanks for the suggestion.

aussieJJDude

nikm128 said:
They should be fine, just only get one SAE
SAE sre shoaling fish, and regularly school with eachother in my aquarium. Would suggest a min of a pair or trio in a tank for them to be happy, but larger shoals are always preferred.

nikm128

aussieJJDude said:
SAE sre shoaling fish, and regularly school with eachother in my aquarium. Would suggest a min of a pair or trio in a tank for them to be happy, but larger shoals are always preferred.
Yes, but they can also be kept solo no problem, this tank doesn't have much room so 1 would be better if OP plans to have it with cory's, otto's, and the current stock

aussieJJDude

nikm128 said:
Yes, but they can also be kept solo no problem, this tank doesn't have much room so 1 would be better if OP plans to have it with cory's, otto's, and the current stock
I disagree.

I've had a lone SAE, it was reclusive, not active and almost depressed like. They social fish, and should have the ability to lossely school if they want to do so. Keeping them alone is cruel, its like keeping a rummynose by itself or a neon.

nikm128

That's like comparing apples to oranges though, schooling and shoaling are very different behaviors. Neon and rummynose school, while SAE shoal.
But I'm not trying to say you can always just keep one by itself because I typically treat shoaling fish like schooling fish as far as group size. The only reason I'm suggesting just one, is because of how little room there will be for multiple in a heavily stocked 29 gallon

MileyMorkie

I’ll let you guys know if the fish don’t kill each other after I purchase them some time later. :3
(By that I mean I guess I’ll have to find the answer myself. I know “bio load” is written all over this but I’m willing to try)

aussieJJDude

nikm128 said:
That's like comparing apples to oranges though, schooling and shoaling are very different behaviors. Neon and rummynose school, while SAE shoal.
But I'm not trying to say you can always just keep one by itself because I typically treat shoaling fish like schooling fish as far as group size. The only reason I'm suggesting just one, is because of how little room there will be for multiple in a heavily stocked 29 gallon
The thing is, SAE are like opples or aranges. They shoaling fish, but tend to do it in a schooling way. From my experiences, every single time I've kept an SAE alone, they always display the same... or the lack there of. Its cruel, they not like other shoaling fish say platies, swordtails or some gouramis, where they do fine by themselves and continue to act the same whether its one, 2 or 20 - the only difference is group dynamic. SAE become reclusive, shy and extremely skittish.

If you can't keep a small group, then pass on the fish until your able to house them comfortably. There's no point subjecting it to unnecessary stress because you want it. They a living animal - at the very least, rehome the guppies (or as much as possible! - and get a pair of SAE for their social needs.

nikm128

Totally agree with that last bit, but I think MileyMorkie is set on getting all three. So it's more damage control than stocking advice

MileyMorkie

umm about that I am not even sure about the true amount of guppies. I already own two ottos in the 29 gallon tank. I mostly need an idea other than using a whole bunch of algae+detritus removers. I do have ramshorn snails but the algae doesn’t seem to interest them. I have 5 gallon that I’m making into a divided betta tank and my parents said no more tanks. I have a soft hear, is there a way to have even a few pygmy corydoras?

nikm128

For an algae problem, I'd highly recommend one or two nerite snails instead of a bunch of fish, and just keeping up with tank maintenance. You could for sure do 6 pygmy cory's too

By the way, could you do me a favor and click these blue words: Nitrogen Cycle according to your profile you're not familiar with it

aussieJJDude

The pygmy cories and otos are fine, could easily have 6-8 of each IMO. I will mention, pygmy cories are primarily carnivorous, and will not eat algae.

MileyMorkie

My bad I had three otocinclus at the time I started this thread, now I either have one or two left. Got seven cories and now I can make this joke.

I got Cories in the House.

Latest threads

Top Bottom