Three black neon tetras

fishnoob52

Reaction score
I currently only have 3 black neon tetras that I bought from petsmart (they only 3 left). They've been in my newly cycled 20 gallon tank for the last 2 days. Even though they are doing fine right now (stopped hiding and are eating flakes), I've heard people say that not having at least 6 of them together will stress them out and cause illness. I'm planning to buy 5 more but the earliest I can do that is next week. Is this going to be an issue where my tetras are temporarily not in a complete school? These are the only fish in the tank.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They most likley will not school if theres only 3 of them, but yes it is very true & important that any type of schooling fish will become stressed and die without other mates.

As long as you don't have just 1 schooling fish all alone, then you should be fine with just the 3 for now. You do need to get at least 3 more as soon as you can though if you want a fully thriving school community!

OP
F

fishnoob52

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm already noticing that two of them like to be together while the third one is only occasionally hanging out with the other two but mostly hiding in the corners.

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I echo that they will be fine for the short term. As someone who went through exactly what you are right now, it's really cool when you add several more. You will notice a big difference!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fishnoob52 said:
It's either black neon tetras or green neon tetras for me. I can't seem to find any regular neon tetras in stock in my city.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. For me the black neon tetras have been much hardier than the regular neons.

New Threads