Three 10 gallon betta tanks

• Thread starter Doomheadthebetta
  • Start date

Doomheadthebetta

I have three 10 gallons with betta fish in each. They're all male. I have Doom head the dragon scale plakat, Peppito the blue veiltail, and Rian I'm pretty sure he's a plakat. But he's almost completely black with blue streaks in his tail. 2 of the tanks don't have lids. Doom head being a dragon scale does have diamond eye. So I'm scared to add fish with him, unless I can get a pleco or cories. But I was told no cories or plecs in a 10 gallon. The other 2 are fine nothing wrong with them. I do want to get snails and ghost shrimp.
But what do you think I should get for all 3 of the tanks??

Salem

Well Known
I agree on the snails and shrimp, they tend to have better luck with bettas in comparison to other options.

You could attempt neon or cardinal tetras or similar species. Just keep in mind the more brightly coloured a fish is the more likely the betta will think its another betta.

I normally wouldn't suggest putting an african dwarf frog with a betta just because the frogs are slow with poor eye sight and bettas tend to be nippy. However Doom head might actually be okay with them. With his diamond eye obscuring his vision combined with the neutral tones and obviously-not-fish shape of adfs it very well could work out.

BlackOsprey

Well Known
That depends on their temperament. One of my bettas was so mean that he decapitated every snail I put in his tank. From what I've seen, shrimp in a lidless tank and an aggressive tank mate usually ends in lethal leaps of faith onto the floor.

But, your bettas might not be as viscous as my dumb plakat. Even if they are, nerite snails are a great tankmate: they don't multiply, and they don't stick enough of themselves out to get shredded.

Hardy, fast, non-nippy nano fish can be great tank mates for milder bettas too. One of mine shared a 10 gallon peacefully with some sparkling gourami. If your substrate is smooth gravel or sand, kuhlI loaches are excellent too.

Doomheadthebetta

Salem said:
I agree on the snails and shrimp, they tend to have better luck with bettas in comparison to other options.

You could attempt neon or cardinal tetras or similar species. Just keep in mind the more brightly coloured a fish is the more likely the betta will think its another betta.

I normally wouldn't suggest putting an african dwarf frog with a betta just because the frogs are slow with poor eye sight and bettas tend to be nippy. However Doom head might actually be okay with them. With his diamond eye obscuring his vision combined with the neutral tones and obviously-not-fish shape of adfs it very well could work out.
Neons would look cool with Rian. I'm not sure what I'd try with peppito since he's blue. And he has the longer tail
And I actually thought the ADFs would actually steal Dooms food if I put one in. I know they're not fast but I've read they can eat fish and I'd be sad if doom was eaten.

Doomheadthebetta

BlackOsprey said:
That depends on their temperament. One of my bettas was so mean that he decapitated every snail I put in his tank. From what I've seen, shrimp in a lidless tank and an aggressive tank mate usually ends in lethal leaps of faith onto the floor.

But, your bettas might not be as viscous as my dumb plakat. Even if they are, nerite snails are a great tankmate: they don't multiply, and they don't stick enough of themselves out to get shredded.

Hardy, fast, non-nippy nano fish can be great tank mates for milder bettas too. One of mine shared a 10 gallon peacefully with some sparkling gourami. If your substrate is smooth gravel or sand, kuhlI loaches are excellent too.
I only know the temperament of doom since he was in the 20 gallon. I think the other 2 might be ok with friends. I've never seen peppito flare before. And Rian only flares at my phone lol
Also what if the water level wasn't too high? Would they still jump? I'm adding a bunch of hiding places for everyone so it should be okay hopefully..
I've always wanted kuhlis but I read that they needed at least a 20 gallon. All of my 10s have sand lol

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Doomheadthebetta said:
I only know the temperament of doom since he was in the 20 gallon. I think the other 2 might be ok with friends. I've never seen peppito flare before. And Rian only flares at my phone lol
Also what if the water level wasn't too high? Would they still jump? I'm adding a bunch of hiding places for everyone so it should be okay hopefully..
I've always wanted kuhlis but I read that they needed at least a 20 gallon. All of my 10s have sand lol
Ah, ok! Then I'd give em tankmates, but of course keep an eye on them.

I don't personally know how high a shrimp can jump, but lowering the water level would definitely help with preventing escapes.

Kuhlis do fine in 10s from my experience. They're not super active swimmers nor do they produce much waste. A 20 would let you keep a large swarm of them, which is always a lot more fun and makes them much less shy, but they'd live happily in a well maintained 10 in smaller groups as well.

Doomheadthebetta

BlackOsprey said:
Ah, ok! Then I'd give em tankmates, but of course keep an eye on them.

I don't personally know how high a shrimp can jump, but lowering the water level would definitely help with preventing escapes.

Kuhlis do fine in 10s from my experience. They're not super active swimmers nor do they produce much waste. A 20 would let you keep a large swarm of them, which is always a lot more fun and makes them much less shy, but they'd live happily in a well maintained 10 in smaller groups as well.
I might just get snails and khulis then lol

Top Bottom