Threadfin Rainbows

1. turtlef1sh Member Member

Hello there, Im stocking a soon to be planted 30 gallon 30l*12w*18h ( Plants first of course!). I would like to have a school of thredfin rainbowfish, I would like to know how many i can have. I will get a few less than the most i can get. Also any other small fish/unique inverts that can live together with them, if not, i dont want to push it

2. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

You could easily have a dozen or more. What are you looking for in tankmates? Do you just want bottom dwellers, or other mid-dwelling fish as well? Color, personality, oddballs...?

3. turtlef1sh Member Member

Bottom dwellers would be great, I was leaning to cory cats but i would like black kuhlis also. If they cant mix then i would rather have the cory cats. I dont think this would mix, but what about a red lobster. I used to have a blue cray and he was so cute but he killed most bottom dwellers with him.

4. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Iriatherina werneri needs swimming room, I would not put more than about 8 in a 30 inch long tank, and I think that would be crowding if they get close to full grown. Most people don't have fully grown Threadfins; the ones you get in stores are mostly stunted, and putting them in small tanks keeps them stunted, which is why they are so delicate and tend to die early. I have seen Threadfins that had 3 inch bodies, with fins that extended more than 7 inches from top to bottom. Of course, those were raised by Gary Lange, who is very particular in the way he cares for his fish. But it gives you an idea of what the species is truly capable of.

5. turtlef1sh Member Member

Ok thanks Chrome! Then I will look towards a school of 7,maybe 8 but probably 7

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd go with some asian stone catfish or Corydoras habrosus for the bottom. You could also probably do a pair of peacock gudgeons.