Threadfin rainbows keep dying

LongScrewdriver

We set up a 55-gallon community tank with only small tetras, shrimp, and one gold nugget pleco, it planted pretty heavily but we keep losing threadfin rainbows slowly 1 by 1. In our first experience with them, we got 5 and all but 1 died then we got another 5 from a different store hoping it was just a bad batch of fish. There is one male that is from the first batch that has still survived but the new ones keep dying slowly. No other fish species has struggled in this tank, we've got our water tested twice by a local fish store and the water is almost pristine. The pet store guy thought the one male is beating up the younger ones but he said it was unlikely. We've changed their diet a lot knowing they have very small mouths from baby brine, crushed flakes, to the first bite food for babies. The pH is around 6.7, and nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all low. WE also keep bamboo shrimp in there and they are very sensitive to water quality issues and they have been fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

KayBee3

Hi,

You say your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are low, but what are the exact numbers? Any amount of ammonia or nitrite can have detrimental effects on your fish. It's possible the rainbow fish are slowly being poisoned by toxins in the water.

Secondly, how often do you do water changes?

Please let us know so we can better assist you

LongScrewdriver

KayBee3 said:
Hi,

You say your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are low, but what are the exact numbers? Any amount of ammonia or nitrite can have detrimental effects on your fish. It's possible the rainbow fish are slowly being poisoned by toxins in the water.

Secondly, how often do you do water changes?

Please let us know so we can better assist you
We try to do a water change every week or so, its heavy plants to they take a lot of the nitrates out. I can't remember the exact numbers if there was any at all but the water was tested for everything and I remember the water having nothing would that affect the threadfins. Also if it was nitrates or ammonia was a problem I would assume I would be losing other fish other than just threadfins. Pork chop rasboras, rummy nose tetras, guppies, endlers, red pinto caradina, yellow neocaradina, bamboo shrimp, white cloud minnows, green neon tetras amongst more, the threadfins are the only to have a struggle surviving
LongScrewdriver said:
We try to do a water change every week or so, its heavy plants to they take a lot of the nitrates out. I can't remember the exact numbers if there was any at all but the water was tested for everything and I remember the water having nothing would that affect the threadfins. Also if it was nitrates or ammonia was a problem I would assume I would be losing other fish other than just threadfins. Pork chop rasboras, rummy nose tetras, guppies, endlers, red pinto caradina, yellow neocaradina, bamboo shrimp, white cloud minnows, green neon tetras amongst more, the threadfins are the only to have a struggle surviving
I'm beginning to think it might be the aggressive large male from the first batch. He constantly flares his fin and has only kept 1 female alive at this point. Im thinking the best move is to get another batch and raise them in another tank till they are large then introduce them?

LongScrewdriver

Well the plot thickens, we had 5 more threadfins and took the largest male out of the tank, and one week later another threadfin passed on, still no other fish are dying in the tank or shrimp. not sure if they need a really high KH and that's whats causing it or not

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom