Threadfin Rainbow Problems

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Simon711, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Simon711Valued MemberMember

Hello all! I just added three threadfin rainbowfish to my 10g walstad aquarium. I tried to get two females and one male, but what I believe I got was two males and possibly one female. The smaller male looks similar to the female but he has a little more color. Also, it seems the bigger dominant male is constantly courting the one I believe to be the female. Is this combination okay? I'm not really sure what to do here. The bigger male will chase the other male around and displays a lot, but he doesn't seem to be actually hurting either of them. The tank is heavily planted.
    Thank you all in advance!

2. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

I wanted threadfin rainbow fish a while ago when I saw them in a local LFS, but the problem was they were only selling males as the females aren't as interesting to look at. It may be worth it to you to find a breeder online who can sell you females.

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Just keep an eye on things IMO. If the dom gets a bit too feisty for the female, consider temp placing him in a breeder net to allow him to cool down.

If itd heavily planted, the fish should also be fine. Im unsure if you have floating plants or not, but they would be greatly appreciated IMO.

4. Simon711Valued MemberMember

I have an entire surface of amazon frogbit:emoji_thumbsup:

5. Simon711Valued MemberMember

would getting one more female solve the issue or just make it worse? I just don't want her to be too stressed.

6. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Adding more females will help disperse any unwanted attention and allow each female some time to rest - from the male.

7. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

The amazon frogbit is good oxygenation but won't give the females a lot of hiding places. Anubias and java fern would be able to survive in the reduced light.

8. Simon711Valued MemberMember

I don't only have frogbit in there, I also have a bush of wisteria and ludwigia, aswell as red rubin swords

9. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

For me, my fish love hiding in the roots or just underneath the 'pads'. Sometimes having 'shaded areas' can just make thw world of difference.

10. Simon711Valued MemberMember

would adding one more female work?

11. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

IMO, it would. Adding more females in general is never a bad thing for most fish IMO.

12. Simon711Valued MemberMember

the big male seems to 'ram' the other male sometimes, I'm not sure if he is actually hurting him or chasing him away

13. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

A better ration would be 4 females and 2 males.

14. Simon711Valued MemberMember

yeah thats what I initially wanted, I didn't want to add to many fish at once since this is a walstad style tank. But now that I inspect them further, I feel like the one I believed was a female is actually an immature male. but im unsure

15. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

Hmm, that is always happening to me even when I buy direct from breeders! I can't tell you how many bigger tanks I've expanded to precisely for this reason. If you can get some obviously mature females direct from a breeder, it may be worth the money. I've had to do that ;)

16. Simon711Valued MemberMember

Yeah, the only thing that makes me think that she is a female, even though she looks like she could be a male, is that the bigger male is constantly displaying to her and not letting the other male get close to her. If he tries the other male immediately swoops in and displays to make the other male back off.

17. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

I've been fooled, too, by desperate boys wooing an immature male. Hopefully, her fins will stay short, and she'll turn out to be a girl ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice