Threadfin rainbow fish sick

ivykirk

Hello! New here and have done a bit of research with no luck.

My partner has a fresh water 20g Long aquarium and keeps 14 threadfin rainbow fish. They are kept with many Cherry Shrimp/Amano/Whisker Shrimp, 1 Bristle Nose Pleco, and 2 Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. When he tested water yesterday, everything seemed ok. We have had these fish for about 4 months at this point and they had an issue with ick early on, but have been doing well since. The tank has a filter and a heater.

Today one of the threads started behaving strangely(sort of twitchy) and swimming very vertically. He also has an odd stain/patch appearing on his sides that has grown in the past 2-3 hours. It is lighter/whiteish with a dark grey edge. One of his longer lower threadfins is becoming white at the end. I tried to feed him a little Fancy Guppy food and he did not appear interested. I have included an image. Can anyone help us with an idea of what might be wrong?

Thank you in advance!

marmaaa

ivykirk said:
Hello! New here and have done a bit of research with no luck.

My partner has a fresh water 20g Long aquarium and keeps 14 threadfin rainbow fish. They are kept with many Cherry Shrimp/Amano/Whisker Shrimp, 1 Bristle Nose Pleco, and 2 Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. When he tested water yesterday, everything seemed ok. We have had these fish for about 4 months at this point and they had an issue with ick early on, but have been doing well since. The tank has a filter and a heater.

Today one of the threads started behaving strangely(sort of twitchy) and swimming very vertically. He also has an odd stain/patch appearing on his sides that has grown in the past 2-3 hours. It is lighter/whiteish with a dark grey edge. One of his longer lower threadfins is becoming white at the end. I tried to feed him a little Fancy Guppy food and he did not appear interested. I have included an image. Can anyone help us with an idea of what might be wrong?

Thank you in advance!
What are the numbers for the water parameters?

ivykirk

To anyone else who may find a similar problem-- we discovered it was a nitrate problem stemming from the filter, when my partner got home. We lost 2 fish, even after a water change.

marmaaa

ivykirk said:
To anyone else who may find a similar problem-- we discovered it was a nitrate problem stemming from the filter, when my partner got home. We lost 2 fish, even after a water change.
Oh Im sorry to hear that. How was it stemming from the filter?

ivykirk

marmaaa said:
Oh Im sorry to hear that. How was it stemming from the filter?
Don't quote me on this- since I am not an aquarium/fish expert. They are my partner's and I just get to enjoy them but don't know the specifics!

I think he said that he had been cleaning but not changing the pads in the filter in a long time. Also, didn't do as much of a water change this weekend as he should have. We had also added 2 neon tetras that we had unsuccessfully tried to pair with a Betta in another tank, who died shortly after due to the stress. I think it was a combination of all those factors. But everyone else seems ok after he did an emergency clean/water change.

marmaaa

ivykirk said:
Don't quote me on this- since I am not an aquarium/fish expert. They are my partner's and I just get to enjoy them but don't know the specifics!

I think he said that he had been cleaning but not changing the pads in the filter in a long time. Also, didn't do as much of a water change this weekend as he should have. We had also added 2 neon tetras that we had unsuccessfully tried to pair with a Betta in another tank, who died shortly after due to the stress. I think it was a combination of all those factors. But everyone else seems ok after he did an emergency clean/water change.
Oh thats weird you dont really change the pads in the filter unless you want the cycle to end, you just woosh it around in some old tank water and it should be fine. You cant really add 2 neons, they need a minimum of 6. They dont really "pair" per se. I hope they are doing better now after the water change.

ivykirk

We had 4 neons or
marmaaa said:
Oh thats weird you dont really change the pads in the filter unless you want the cycle to end, you just woosh it around in some old tank water and it should be fine. You cant really add 2 neons, they need a minimum of 6. They dont really "pair" per se. I hope they are doing better now after the water change.
Not sure on the exact specifics, but thankfully everyone seems good now.

We had added 4 neons to our 10 gal Betta tank. We thought he was gentle, but were sadly mistaken. The store had recommended 4 neons to start with our Betta and he killed 2 of them immediately(hence why we were left with 2 neons). We moved them to the 20 gal as a back up, but I think the stress of a new place, our Betta, and being just 2 impacted them negatively.

marmaaa

ivykirk said:
We had 4 neons or

Not sure on the exact specifics, but thankfully everyone seems good now.

We had added 4 neons to our 10 gal Betta tank. We thought he was gentle, but were sadly mistaken. The store had recommended 4 neons to start with our Betta and he killed 2 of them immediately(hence why we were left with 2 neons). We moved them to the 20 gal as a back up, but I think the stress of a new place, our Betta, and being just 2 impacted them negatively.
Ohhhh okay that makes sense. Well its good everyone seems well now, best of luck to your partner's fish in the future

ivykirk

marmaaa said:
Ohhhh okay that makes sense. Well its good everyone seems well now, best of luck to your partner's fish in the future
Thank you! Crazy how a fish can be gentle with people but not so much with other fish.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom