Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Thread Like Worms From My Fish? What Is The Best Treatment?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Bekaw, Apr 19, 2019.

1. BekawNew MemberMember

Hi - recently got back into fish keeping. I think I now have a worm issue :( it started with my guppies flashing and I noticed that one had a white cotton like thread this morning rather than normal faeces :( I noticed now that my male blue dam has the same and has started flashing too. I did a 50% water change yesterday but I am away this weekend with no way of getting a treatment to use until I get back on Sunday :( is there anything else I can do? I can do another partial water change before I leave? And what should I use to treat please as I can get some tomorrow - I’m going to find a fish store while I’m away. I’m so worried that they’re all going to pass away by the time I get back (I’m an over thinker) :’( they’re still eating and swimming round. And the fish with the white thread faeces are also passing normal faeces as well? Can anyone put my mind a ease ? Have uploaded a photo of the thread like thing being passed out. I feel like the worst fish mum :’(

Attached Files:

2. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Stringy poop doesn't always mean parasites or bacterial diseases, it could just be digestive problems brought on by too much protien in the food. Fasting one day a week will help, feeding boiled skinned peas can help with this. You can order some metronidazole food from Kensfish or other place and have it in a few days to treat the fish for parasitic infection. The time will give you a chance to see if it just normal stringy poop you get from time to time from over feeding or high protien, or something more serious.

Your guppy looks ready to drop some young, I would put her in a breeding box in a separate tank if you want to keep the babies. Other than that, they look pretty healthy so I wouldn't stress too much, parasitic death generally takes a heavy infestation and weeks to kill.

3. BekawNew MemberMember

Hiya - thank you, yes I think she is but I’m away until Monday so I couldn’t separate her quite yet. Both the guppies and ram were flashing before I left against the wood and plants. I did another 30% water change again just before I left in case it was the water parameters out - I have a new test kit on it’s way which I can use when I’m back. I asked my brother to let me know if there were any problems this evening as he is feeding them whilst I’m gone. Should i say to him not to worry about food? Sorry It has been a long time since I last had fish and this got me a bit panicky.