Thread/hair Algae Outbreak

Level99Fishing

Reaction score
Hello fishlore,

As the title says, I've got an algae outbreak. Brown algae is covering my substrate which I'm not so worried about but the long flowing green hair algae is growing out of hand. I've done manual removal but it's getting worse by the day. Bought two molly's to help me clear them up a bit but they're not that effective despite chomping at it constantly.

Please help, I worried that if I let it grow it'll starve my plants of light and nutrients. What should I do?

Additional information:
- ammonia 0
- Nitrites 0
- Nitrates 0
- Phosphate 0
- 50W LED unit with CO2 injection
- Irregular dosing (stopped dosing recently because I'm afraid that'll advance the outbreak even more)
- Lights on for 7 hours a day + 1 hour of blue light (8 hours total)

Thanks!

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Break up your light cycle (3 on 2 off 4 on or something of the like) or black out your tank for a few days.
Increase your nitrates to around 10ppm.
Get something that eats them(mollies don't really eat hair algae, siamese algae eaters and Amano shrimp are options that do)

Level99Fishing

Reaction score
I had 2 Siamese algae eaters before I got the mollies. Both died of starvation, didn't eat a thing unfortunately. And shrimp are banned where I'm from which really sucks. How would I go about increasing my nitrates though?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a new test kit or shake the bejeezus out of bottle no.2 in the nitrate test before adding it are probably your best bets. Aside from that you could pee a bit in a gallon jug and fill it with water and sit it outside for a month or so. After about a month you should have a bottle full of nitrates. You can boil it down a bit to concentrate it as nitrates typically build up in freshwater aquarium systems since they don't really grow the types of bacteria needed to turn them into nitrogen.

Level99Fishing

Reaction score
The algae is receding!

This is what I did;
- added on extra 20W of LEDs and upped the CO2. Photoperiod unchanged.
- manual removal of algae with a 20% water change done in the process.

The algae is clearing up from my glosso. Algae still present on non planted areas of the tank. The thread algae is even attaching onto the glass now!

Im thinking If I add in some fast growing plants temporarily that might help. Any suggestions? My non planted areas are at the front of the tank where the substrate is only about 2cm deep. So I won't be able to keep heavily rooting plants. Will mosses do the trick?

Thanks!

EDIT (and yeah I'll go with your advice on blacking out the tank if I don't manage to get rid of this algae in another week or two. Scared blacking it out will kill my glosso or even worse my CO2 could gas my fish and I won't even know it!)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom