Thrashing A Lot And Rolling Over?

Discussion in 'Flowerhorn Cichlid' started by mitchellh97, Apr 17, 2018.

1. mitchellh97

mitchellh97 Valued Member Member

Finally got a big tank for My new flowerhorn. He’s about 5-6 inches and ever since I got him I’ve been dosing paraguard and ramped up the temp to 86 and have added salt to fight a nasty case of ich. I’ve had him for one week now and yesterday he really started to seem better after adding the salt I’ve kept the ParaGard in there the entire week the temperature has stayed up and all of today I noticed he is an acting quite normal he’s not as active and looking around he hides in one side of the tank doesn’t move very much and now about five minutes ago he had one spurred not like any other time he scratched but thrashing on the top of the water and going completely erratic at the surface of the water hitting against the lid and freaking out lasted about five seconds and then he nearly completely stopped moving. He turned upside down with erratic breathing I put my hand in held them right side up and put them in under in air stone. He came back to normal but he is staying in the very corner of the bottom of the tank and not really moving much nose to the corner. The extremes like it’s pretty much gone the only spots left our big and fluffy so I’m assuming they’re about to fall off I’ve done regular vacuum to clean off the bare bottom glass that I have. Does this sound like normal behaviour towards the end of the ich cycle? I’m really worried I don’t want to lose him and anytime I’ve ever seen behaviour like that is when one of my platies was about to die. He doesn’t seem very active and he still breathing heavy and he’s not really moving at all but it doesn’t seem like he is wobbling back-and-forth he’s just staying pressed to the side of the glass with his nose in the corner. This is been the only time that he’s acted like that the most I’ve ever seen was him brushing his sides against the bottom to Itch.

2. OP
    OP
    mitchellh97

Seriously... nobody

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello. Could you please post pics and your water parameters? I’ve never had to deal with ich thankfully but others on here have and will be glad to help. Post pics ASAP. Hoping for the best.

4. OP
    OP
    mitchellh97

I checked them all last night everything is good no ammonia no nitrite and 5ppm nitrate but when I got him he already had caught it from the other fish at the store. The ich isn’t the problem it’s the weird seizure like darting he’s doing. They don’t seem to stop. He’s had 7 in the past 20 hours. When they’re over he doesn’t move he just hovers in one spot in the corner.

5. Gypsy13

What’s your ph? Have you done water changes? Salt doesn’t evaporate so you have to physically remove it. Do you have a picture of your fish? @Thunder_o_b any thoughts?

6. OP
    OP
    mitchellh97

IMG_0497.jpg

Ph is 6-6.5 but hasn’t had a problem all week he was very active and seemed very happy until yesterday. I’ve had him over a week and acclimated him well. Salt is API aquarium salt at 1tbs per 5g. I only add more to keep the same amount when I’m doing water changes temp is at 86 because of the ich I’ve been dealing with all week as well as dosing 25ml of paraguard all week daily as per instructions on the bottle. This is a pic of him yesterday.

He only breathes heavy when he’s done with his freak outs. When he’s in the corner after 10 mins his breathing goes normal

He’s done this 9 times in 24 hours now.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  7. forestwind1234

forestwind1234 Valued Member Member

Do you think that he could've hurt himself during the seizures?
    Is the medication you're dosing causing a depletion in oxygen in the tank? That could've caused the heavy breathing.

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

With the warmer temp you need to make sure the water is extreamly well aerated as the warmer the water the less O2 it holds in supention.

9. Gypsy13

Hey Thunder. I’ve never had to deal with ich. Is this normal behavior after being treated for it?

10. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have only dealt with it twice. No this is not normal. I believe the symptoms are due to low O2 in the water. Vigorous aeration should help.

11. OP
    OP
    mitchellh97

I did a 50% water change and he stopped doing those. He swims. Very little and not fast but some. He hovers at the top of the tank above my internal filter. Not looking for oxygen he’s an inch or two below the surface always and I’ve had a air stone running since I started treatment. He seems to be leaving to his side a bit though. Like a 20 degree angle. He’s also extremely scared of me now. Freaking out whenever I approach and it I move my hand slow he backs away. Won’t eat anything beside bloodworms and today is the first time he’s eaten in two days. He’s very pale. I left the light off all yesterday and let him heal. My LFS thought maybe an overdose that’s why I did the water change. Even though I followed the recommended dosage and water parameters are good. Seems like he may have a case of fin rot now on his tail and dorsal fin. He hasn’t left the first six inches of that side of the tank in two days. I can’t even coax him to the other side or he gets very afraid and tries to dart. Haven’t seen him swim fast yet since those things stopped happening. Every time he darts is when he’s scared of me and he thrashes for less than a second but doesn’t seem to lose balance. Whenever he’s slowing swimming in his top corner he is upright but resting he is on a small angle.

12. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

He has likely done himself some damage. When doing ich heat treatment you don't want to treat with meds as well because heat makes them less effective as well as further depleting oxygen in the water as does raising the temperature. He is likely very stressed, I would honestly dim the lights or turn them off for the next few days to try and keep him calmer.
    If he is still showing signs with ich, I would lower the temp down and use meds to avoid depleting the oxygen as much. I would be doing daily or every other day water changes to help him heal. This will likely help him get used to you again. Try feeding him with tweezers to get him to associate you with good things (food) so he gets comfortable with you quicker.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice