Thousands Of Carp, Spillway, And Food

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Went on a road trip....
    To a lake where you can (legally) feed carp (I believe it was a nursery?). You can feed them bread and I saw some people with pond fish pellets. These carp are massive! Anyways, there is a spillway, where there is such a writhing mass of carp that some can't get back under. Yes, they have water over them and are still breathing and alive. They eventually shove their way back under the mass. This spillway has a walkway built above it to feed the fish from. I preferred to go in the more quieter spots and feed them (there were still a ton lol). I just didn't like feeding the ones in the spillway knowing that the reason that they are there in such a frenzy they are sometimes unable to swim under because of how many is because of the easy food. I don't know, maybe I'm being ridiculous. They can get out of the spillway, I saw one jump up the mini falls. Also, the spillway had natural food going into it as well.

All I know is that when I get my drivers license, I will drive up there with a large tub of pond fish pellets and find a quiet spot along the railing beside the lake and feed whichever bunch of carp decide to visit me. Maybe bring some bread to feed the many aquatic fowl that also gather there. I honestly thought the carp were adorable with their huge mouths and whiskers. I got a much better, satisfying experience by feeding carp in a much less crowded environment (for both of us xD).

First picture is of a quieter spot. You can see a couple carp, but I was taking a picture of birds. The other pictures are of the fish in the spillway. c01e7f7014fae6b6a53e2aead199e9e2.jpg 28c8153717e56046049eac8c319aac07.jpg 223925f96bb12fcaf1b5f0d18e137a4c.jpg

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Oh wow! Thats so cool!

Theres this really cool hatchery up in CA at Mammoth Lakes/Tahoe that has a humungous trout hatchery with these GIANT salmon in addition to trout. You can feed them too, but they arent as cramped luckily. Its really fun to feed them the pellets they provide.

And that would be fun, getting a huge tub of pellets/bread and just tossing them :). I'd call that a fun day out

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

We tossed a carp-ton (;p) amount of bread in. I didn't throw much in at the cramped area, but more in the open, quieter spots.

I really do think it's a fun activity to do. Loved it.

4. KinsKicks

Did the geese any? Geese are pigs lol...I hope the carp were fast enough.

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Oh my... The geese were like delicate flowers compared to the carp. Geese and ducks barely got any.

6. KinsKicks

Really?? I want those geese! At my park, I have seen dozens and dozens of people get chased by geese because they start feeding them, then they run out of food, and the geese are still hungry, so they chase them until the geese finally get tired lol

7. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

That is amazing! Wow!
    @KinsKicks -You can also see salmon at Nimbus Dam in Folsom Ca. Which is much closer to you.

8. KinsKicks

I I've been there too! We had gone fishing nearby, and my dad took my to go see because it was so close. There weren't too many because they had already sent a lot of them off, but I got splashed and got to see them spawn, it was really cool. I had way too much fun there :p

And we had gone to Tahoe for annual family fishing on Opening Day, and it was the last stop before getting a Mono Cone and driving home (Man, its been almost 7 years since I've last been!)

9. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

It was such a cool experience and I would definitely do it again. I think places like this are really cool. My grandpa went as a kid, and said he remembers it to this day (which is why we went). Very memorable experience.

10. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Most of the parks and small canals in Tianjin are full of carp. It gets quite annoy sometimes because you never see anything else anywhere. Thankfull the little waterway in the park across the road from my house hasnt been infested yet.