Thoughts on upgrading to either 20 gallon long or reg 20 gallon aqueon brand

red betta
I currently have a ten gallon tank with a betta,2 zebra/1 leopard danios, 1 corycat, and two ghost shrimp. Plants I have are dwarf hair grass,java fern windelov/narrow leaf 3 separate plants each,and 5 stems of water wisteria. I will be moving everything into the new twenty gallon. What can I add to a 20 gallon tank without overstocking (plants and fish)? Mainly I'm thinking about small schooling fish and any type of plant.

Advertisement
mikerox29
You will first have to up your schools of danios and cory cats to 6 as they are schooling fish and will really appreciate the company. Also, I am not sure if zebra and leopard danios school together but if not you will need 6 of each and that would put you at stocked in my opinion. Also, bettas are best by themselves so I reccomend you just keep the betta in the 10G and move everything else. This would allow for a centrepiece fish also.

Advertisement
red betta
Would a school of the danio's and corycats be enough for the 20 gallon?

mikerox29
Basically, if both leopard and zebra danios require a school of 6 each then I would do something like this:

- 6 zebra danios
- 6 leopard danios
- 6 cory cats
- Centrepiece fish (Dwarf Gourami or similar sized peaceful fish)

red betta
I like that idea I'll keep that in mind.

Which type of dwarf gourami would complement the other fish?

mikerox29
That is completely up to your personal preference. Personally I like the flame dwarf gourami but they come in so many different colourations that you will have a very large selection to choose from.

Bijou88
Leapard and zebra danios are the same species, just different patterning, they usually do just fine schooling together. However. ....danios need much cooler water than bettas so they really shouldn't be housed together. If you put the betta in his own (warmer) tank, which would be best anyway imo, as bettas really don't do well with other fish, there are lots of options for stock in a 20 gallon with danios and cories.

mikerox29
Agreed with Bijou88 regarding the Betta. And if the danios school together then you could possible get a school of tetra or even hatchetfish to be a little different

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
toeknee
Replies
Views
GettinTanked
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views