Thoughts On Topfin Products From Petsmart?

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by MJ1025, Apr 14, 2019.

1. MJ1025New MemberMember

I've herd lots of good things about prime conditioner I'm curious has anyone had any success with topfin products sold at petsmart as far using them to set up a new tank and maintain it without any other brand products being used?

2. roXenValued MemberMember

I bought their 10 gallon starter kit and I'm happy with it.

3. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Our first tank bought 14 months ago was a Top Fin 20 gallon starter kit.

The tank, lid, LED's, heater and filter all still works fine.

I moved the filter to a 10g tank though and use other media in lieu of the cartridges.

Prime is many times universally advised because you can find it for good prices online and since it is so concentrated (1mL treats 10 gallons), it's actually more cost effective than "cheaper" brands.

Also, if you look at Petsmart's website, most of their fish hobby supplies are cheaper there vs. the in-store prices.

The cashier in-store will price match the online price.

I would advise to skip their Top Fin fish food and stick with quality foods such as Omega One and Cobalt Aquatics.

It may cost a few $ more, but a can of fish food lasts a long time and you are paying for better ingredients and less fillers.

Fish will grow faster and color up better with quality foods also.

If you can catch fish food, water treatments and other supplies on sale from online places, many times it's cheaper than the in-store prices for the Top Fin products.

Their Top Fin Silentstream filters aren't bad when you catch them on sale at 50% off and you ditch the cartridges and add your own media. I like the adjustable flow knob on the intake tube and their reservoirs are actual larger than the Aqueon "Quiet flow" filters.

You can throw a foam sponge block, a wad of Polyfil and a bag of bio-media into a Silentstream easily, where it would be hard to do effectively in the Aqueon's small reservoir.

4. roXenValued MemberMember

I would add that the Top Fin Silentstream filter is also much less noisier than the aqueon quietflow.

5. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

I like the top fin 5.5 starter kit
    wouldn't really buy anything else from top fin besides these kits... if I had more money I would buy the fluval kits

6. Smack442Valued MemberMember

I just got the 5.5 gallon Topfin aquarium kit about a week ago and I've been happy with it so far. The filter it came with it much nicer then I was expecting.

I am also using Topfin's ReadiStart nitrifying bacteria starter to cycle my home tank and I have to say it seem to be working a lot better then the tss+ I'm using at work. I should say however at home I'm doing a fishless cycle at home and at work I'm doing the cycling with fish.

I agree with @Islandvic, stay away from the Topfin fish food! My boss got some, when he gave my coworker and I bettas for our birthdays and none of the bettas would touch them. They also grew about three times their size when soaked them.

7. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I use TopFin betta bits, and I’m really happy with them!! TopFin products, are typically not as good as quality as say Tetra brand. :)

8. SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

I read the top fin water conditioner description on their website and it says it reduces the effect of ammonia but didn't say it detoxifies it outright. If you are doing a fish less cycle that doesn't matter but if you do fish in I'd suggest prime or aqueon conditioners that say they detoxify ammonia. Topfin water conditioner removes both chlorine and cloramine so for a cycled tank or fish less cycle it's perfectly fine to use. As others said prime is very concentrated so it's typically a good bargain.

9. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Top Fin is for the people who are poor (Me) and need stuff in the aquarium hobby. You get what you pay I would say. The new top fins kits are MUCH BETTER then the old ones. The old heaters, lids, tank itself where pure trash!

10. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I agree, I use TOP FIN food, and it’s great!!:)