Thoughts On This? Big Fish Can Be Returned?

Discussion in 'Fishkeeping Hot Topics' started by sheenalee, Apr 27, 2016.

1. sheenalee

sheenaleeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello,
    Was recently at my lfs and found out they have a policy where if you buy a fish from them and it outgrows your tank all you have to do is return it and they'll give you a small one of the same species.

Good? Bad? What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. Michael Cocce

Michael CocceNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would rather they give me a bigger tank but I guess that's not a bad idea, they certainly have the fishes' quality of life in mind!

3. Mbross325

Mbross325Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    2 years
    I love that policy, my little brother has an strawberry arowana and it eats worms, crickets, and carnivore pellets. He will return it when it gets too big and get something else. He's got an 55 and I have an 40. Wish I could get one too but my tank is still cycling. But a bigger tank is definitely better.

4. kimberlyKeidron

kimberlyKeidronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    I feel like that's their way of making more money as bigger fish sell for more.

I.e. They sell you a small fish, you basically grow it out for them to a larger size. You bring it in and they sell you another small one to grow out while they sell the larger one for a higher price

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think it works out well. Because there are some people who have huge tanks and they want to buy a big fish when it is already big. But the fish store can't necessarily raise them to adult size. So they send them home with someone to grow them out. Then that person gives it back, and then the fish store customers that want big fish can come in and buy it all grown up. It makes sense to me!! I would do that if I owned a fish store!

If I had a 180 gallon tank for instance, I would rather buy a black ghost knife when it is bigger, like maybe 8 inches. But so often they are sold when they are only 2 inches big. And someone with a 180 gallon tank most likely have fish in it that could eat, or hurt, a 2 inch fish. The only way to usually buy a large fish when it is full grown, or at least almost full grown, (especially with the odd ball fish) are when people give them to the fish store when they outgrow their tank. I have never seen a fish store with a giant fish that THEY raised. It is typically a fish that was given up due to space constraints.

I personally think it is smart! But I am open to debate if I am missing something that makes this a bad idea.........I mean obviously the fish store has to have an element of trust in their customers that they will take care of the fish properly....

6. OP
    OP
    sheenalee

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    If you bring in a grown fish, they give you a new smaller fish at no extra charge.

7. OP
    OP
    sheenalee

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    A little more info about the store:
    It's the only pet store in a town of 15000 (that sells animals)
    It sells, kittens, birds, reptiles, fish.
    Family owned
    The closest fish store other then it is about 1 hour away.
    They have another policy where if your fish dies within a WEEK, you bring in the fish and a sample of your water and they will replace it.

8. Robs

RobsGuest

Ratings:
    +0
    Every LFS that I worked at had similar policies. In fact, if the large fish was worth a lot more than the smaller ones, we would give the customer fair wholesale value in store credit for whatever they wanted to use it on.

9. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,913
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good policy you grow the fish they sell it for more money.

10. cjborgman

cjborgmanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Not to sure about this one, it kind of encourages people to buy fish that are to large for the tank they have.
    Which in turn means things like stunted growth etc could have already occurred before they get it out of there tank and rehomed so the poor fish has already suffered.
    I believe you should only ever buy a particular type of fish only if you have the correct size tank.
    What's the point otherwise ?
    The poor fish suffers from health issues of being in a tank for a little to long before it gets handed back to store.

The idea seems as though it's so the store makes more sales and they won't ever have to say to people "oh no that fish will get to bug for that tank".
    They just do it so they can sell anything regardless and then when it comes back into store they give you a small fish worth nothing and they sell your large fish for 5 x the price.

Sorry to be negative but I don't agree.

11. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,157
    Experience:
    1 year
    I feel like it's a bit of a double edge sword. On one hand it's great for people who truly make a mistake and suddenly realize the fish is going to be way too big for their tank. Then they can return it. Many are given bad advice from others about common goldfish, knifefish, common pleco, angel fish and so forth when it comes to tank size.

On the other hand, I don't really like the ideal of constantly trading in a fish after you grow it out in your tank then back to the pet store then get another rinse and repeat. I've heard and seen people do this over and over again. I have a brother who does this with puppies. He will buy a puppy, then as soon as it gets big he will give it back to the shelter.

It could be giving the fish you give back diseases from the store, that fish could never be bought again due to it's size, hence it may die in that pet store. It makes me feel bad for the living fish.

12. Mifuluhu

MifuluhuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +178
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In general I wish stores would take a few minutes to try to home fish appropriately. I have a good non corporate FS about 30 mins away.....very knowledgable staff with excellent stock for sale. However they still sold me a pair of RTBS's even while I was trying to research on my phone and asked if they thought it was a good idea. I know I can return one to them, without any refund, but still!

13. Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,913
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good policy for the store, good policy for ignorant people, unfortunately bad policy for the fish.

14. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,157
    Experience:
    1 year
    That's a good way of summarizing it.

15. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think its a good policy. I think any store that will take a fish back has a + in my book. Too many people will flush them down the toilet, let them loose in a river, etc. if they don't have a way to return unwanted fish.

Saying to educate customers before they buy is a downhill effort it seems. So many times I have heard store workers try and inform new customers of what they want to buy/conditions needed, etc and it usually goes on deaf ears........And the sad truth is, its usually parents who have kids ( yes I was one of those at one time )

16. Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,913
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    A better policy is educating the employees

17. Mifuluhu

MifuluhuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +178
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You are likely correct Junne, I am a teacher so it's my habit to try to educate people.....even the ones who don't want to learn...lol.

18. cjborgman

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    But does the store ask the next buyer of the big fish what size tank it's going in ? Or does the cycle continue and you have a fish continually being put into and removed from tanks because each owner of the fish doesn't have a tank big enough for the fish's next growth spurt ?
    Cycle continues ?
    But yes I know what you are saying Junne with deaf ears though.
    It is a problem now and always will be.

19. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,685
    Experience:
    3 years
    If the cycle goes on long enough, the lfs could end up turning a .25 fish into a 100 dollar fish. Seems like a great business model. Zero overhead for raising the fish!

20. cjborgman

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeh as Dave75g said good policy for store, bad for the fish.