Thoughts on these results?

Highlander88

My 25 gallon tank has been cycling for 1 week and 3 days. Here are my results from today's water test. Are these all normal? Should I be doing anything specific right now? I haven't added any ammonia in a week because the result was always so dark. I also decided to change out my substrates on Sunday so I did a major tank change with a large water change because my ammonia test was so dark it looked black. Anyway just looking for feedback on these results. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_184418397.jpg
    PXL_20210428_184418397.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210428_184458654.jpg
    PXL_20210428_184458654.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20210428_184521539.jpg
    PXL_20210428_184521539.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210428_184538878.jpg
    PXL_20210428_184538878.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 21

Nate32

Looks like you're on track to having a cycled tank. Personally I'd do a water change, no gravel vac yet just remove water to get the ammonia to around 2 ppm. But you may be fine if you don't. I've only cycled a few tanks but I keep the ammonia to around 2 ppm while cycling. When I think it's done I add ammonia to between 2-4 ppm and if it's gone in 24 hours I do a big water change to get nitrates down before adding fish. Then I make sure parameters stay steady for a solid week or 2 before I go back to twice a week testing.

Upvote 0

Highlander88

Looks like you're on track to having a cycled tank. Personally I'd do a water change, no gravel vac yet just remove water to get the ammonia to around 2 ppm. But you may be fine if you don't. I've only cycled a few tanks but I keep the ammonia to around 2 ppm while cycling. When I think it's done I add ammonia to between 2-4 ppm and if it's gone in 24 hours I do a big water change to get nitrates down before adding fish. Then I make sure parameters stay steady for a solid week or 2 before I go back to twice a week testing.
Ok thank you! After reading about this online I thought I was gonna have to add ammonia every couple days to keep it going so I've been surprised that I added two doses and it's stayed in there so long. Glad to hear I'm on my way! I will do a water change this evening.

Upvote 0

Nate32

Ok thank you! After reading about this online I thought I was gonna have to add ammonia every couple days to keep it going so I've been surprised that I added two doses and it's stayed in there so long. Glad to hear I'm on my way! I will do a water change this evening.

I've noticed if you put new plants in a cycling tank as they melt they will provide ammonia as well. I haven't added any ammonia since day one of the cycle in my 75 and it held steady even after nitrite started to build. I only added more once it hit 0 just to make sure the ammonia was being converted at a good pace. Now I'm just waiting for nitrites to convert. Then I'll add ammonia. if everything goes back to 0 within 24 hours I'll start adding fish to it.

This isn't the only way to cycle a tank but it has worked for me.

Upvote 0

Highlander88

I've noticed if you put new plants in a cycling tank as they melt they will provide ammonia as well. I haven't added any ammonia since day one of the cycle in my 75 and it held steady even after nitrite started to build. I only added more once it hit 0 just to make sure the ammonia was being converted at a good pace. Now I'm just waiting for nitrites to convert. Then I'll add ammonia. if everything goes back to 0 within 24 hours I'll start adding fish to it.

This isn't the only way to cycle a tank but it has worked for me.
Ok good to know. I think I have 7 plants in there now and I ordered a few more so they will be here soon! I'm itching to get my fish though! But honestly I'm enjoying this even the waiting. Even though it's stressed me out at times, especially with my son's tank which we thought was cycled but it wasn't and we added fish......I'm enjoying the water changes and the testing and all the learning that's coming from this.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DragonFox91
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Confused on Levels
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies