thoughts on these corals???

MJDuti

I know nothing of corals and my Saltwater experience is yet to come. So when it comes to corals it can be a little overwhelming at times. I'm more just curious if there are any low+-light, low/med-flow, peaceful & simple corals out there. I know there probably isn't much that fits the whole bill but something close maybe. In my research I came across these, so please offer feedback:

*mushrooms - I like the green rhodactis bullseye. Apparently they don't like a lot of flow, and are low light, so I can put them at the bottom of the tank. But here they need their own space, so I could just put them on their own small piece of live rock maybe.

*blasto corals - I like the Australian Big Polyp Blastomussa (purple & red). Getting some mixed feedback on these. But they look great and would add some more color.

*Leather corals - was thinking the long polyp. This one is smaller than some of the others and would have to go higher in the tank so it'd be closer to the lights. I would probably want to angel a powerhead its way too for some extra flow. Would an ocellaris clown take to this?

I wasn't thinking of a reef reef, but a few of these in a FOWLR, with peaceful fish that won't nip at them of course.

Fish tile

Go for mushrooms once your tank is established. Get the cheap red ones too. Leathers are more sesitive and blastos are aggresive. Hope this helps!

MJDuti

thanks. would love some variety though. I know I can get different colored mushrooms but any recommendations for other types of corals?

Fish tile

You may want to consider feather duster worms. They are not corals but are extremely easy to care for. zoanthids are pretty easy but can get very expensive. Hope this helps!

MJDuti

I'll look into it, thanks!

Mike

kinda wish I would have went with all mushrooms on my bare bottom rather than green star polyps. The star polyps grow like a weed and can kill other corals just because they grow so fast. Mushrooms are just as pretty and more manageable.

MJDuti

I read a lot of that about those polyps. They were originally on my list. Is the poison from some corals, like the button polyps as dangerous as people say? I forget what it's called, but people were calling it extremely dangerous. I guess that's why they use gloves.

I do like the dwarf feather duster that was suggested. Any concerns with this, other than it being a filter feeder?

Also, any thoughts on open brain corals, such as trachyphyllia for instance?

Mike

Palythoas yes, those are the real deal. Be careful with them.

feather dusters are harmless. Brain corals will need to be target fed.

MJDuti

do you think a Current Orbit Marine LED would be ok for lowlight corals on a 36G bowfront (18" tall)?

As far as flow goes, the powerheads I want would be about 18-19x gph.

Fish tile

I'm not sure but I know I kept some mushrooms in my tank for a couple of years with a normal flouresent light with no problems.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
2714fish
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views