plants
creeping jenny
banana plant
cabomba
bacopa
sword I think, it only has 3 half leaves and no new growth

tank size 29 gal
whisper 30 hang on back

did a vacuum yesterday have not retested but will later. all my fish are healthy and the danios(I think) have breeded at least 4 or 5 times.
ok I first ordered 2 clown loach got to the store they were dying/dead. 2nd attempt I brought 2 home 1 died 3 days later the other I have not seen him eat but alive he hides all day. another lady got 3 also on the 2nd attempt I was told by the store all 3 of hers died. I have another one waiting for me at the store but I told them to hold on to it for a week before I get it. how can I get the loach to eat?

EricV

That clown loach will get way too big for your tank.

FastFlow

I know I will be going to a larger tank when I move in a year.

jdhef

Welcome to FishLore!

Sadly you have several problems. The first thing I would recommend is getting an API Liquid test kit, if you are using strips. If using the API kit (and do not have the master test kit) note that API does make a test kit for "High pH" which will give you a pH reading between (I think) 7.4 and 8.4

Clown Loaches need a much bigger tank, since they will get quite large. But more importantly right now, clown loaches are a schooling fish and need to be kept in groups (probabaly of at least 5, but not sure since I've never kept them). So that could be a reason it is not eating.

Also, it may be intimidated by the tiger barbs, since they can be very aggressive. Additionally, I would do a partial water change to get those nitrates down. You really want to try to keep your nitrates under 20ppm if possible, but under 40ppm for sure.

Additionally, cories are also a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5.

And not to pile on, but if that Pleco is a common pleco, it too needs a much larger tank, since they can get well over a foot long.

Sorry for so much bad news, but if it makes you feel any better, almost everyone starts off with problems, usually caused by bad fish store advice.

FastFlow

I have all liquid API test not the master kit but bought separate. I know about the high range ph and will be getting it. the loach and pleco are very small I know they get big,but I don't think they will outgrow the tank in a year. if they do I will get a temporary 75 gal off craigslist. I have a spare 10 gal I can move the barbs to.

BGKFan

Welcome to FishLore!

Sadly you have several problems. The first thing I would recommend is getting an API Liquid test kit, if you are using strips. If using the API kit (and do not have the master test kit) note that API does make a test kit for "High pH" which will give you a pH reading between (I think) 7.4 and 8.4
Also, it may be intimidated by the tiger barbs, since they can be very aggressive. Additionally, I would do a partial water change to get those nitrates down. You really want to try to keep your nitrates under 20ppm if possible, but under 40ppm for sure.
Additionally, cories are also a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5.
Agreed Agreed Agreed. They will feel much more comfortable with some of their own kind. Also what are you trying to feed him? maybe pick up a few varieties, you might have a picky eater.

FastFlow

what about all the other loaches dying
food I've tried
omega one freshwater flakes
tetra bloodworms
tetra tropical tablets (I will put a part of it in his cave when I turn out all lights)
hikarI algae wafers
cucumber
tetra flakes

will the 29 gal be okay for a year? how much size can a loach (and pleco)put on in a year.

EricV

Doesn't sound like you have a very good supplier. All the more reason to stay away from clown loaches in your tank.

BGKFan

Yup could definitely be bad stock.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishesInTank
  • Question
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views