Thoughts on stocking for this 29 gallon?

CMT

Seems fine to me but I would do the Bolivian Ram. German Blue Rams prefer higher temps than the others.

MacZ

In principle no bad choices. There are some things you may trip over. So here some ground work:

When decorating the tank it's best to tailor it to the fish. Meaning besides plants you will have to put in some structures in the form of driftwood, branches, twigs and leaf litter. The cichlids are territorial and so barriers of driftwood that break the lines of sight at about ground level are a must! As is sand substrate, as they are always picking at and chewing the substrate. That said, groundcovering plants have to be kept in check or not used at all.

German blue rams are not really beginner material. At least not the usual ones you get at stores. Those are massproduced, bad health, very sensitive to stress and water quality. Usually they make it only a few months in a beginner tank. If you can, try to order in and get them from a reputable breeder. Those are much more adaptable and hardy. If you can't get them that way, better take bolivian rams.

Rummynose tetras tend to disperse in smaller tanks while swimming around constantly giving a tank some kind of hectical feel. They really shine in groups of 30-40 in tanks 150cm long. Instead maybe double to triple the number of cardinals and you can also add a group of 10 pencilfish.

The pleco... good choice you only want to get one, but maybe don't go for a bristlenose, clown plecos would be better suited to your planned stock.

And now finally: All these fish do best in very soft water. Do you know your tapwater's pH, GH and KH. KH determines your pH range, GH is only secondary to this question.

Prevail

Hello, I'm thinking about stocking my 29 gallon (freshwater) and I want to here everyone's thoughts, I have a marine land aqua clear 50 and am planning on doing a heavily planted tank

1 small ram cichlids, either a German or a Bolivian Ram
6 Rummynose tetras
6 Cardinal tetras
1 bristlenose pleco

at this point I haven't purchased any of the supplies besides the tank and filter so I want to here all of your opinions
I've slightly changed my plans after hearing some suggestions and doing some more research

2 Bolivian Ram
6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Serpa Tetras
4 Albino Cory Cats OR 1 Clown Pleco

MacZ

3 Otocinclus
Otocinclus are not easy in the beginning. They are specialized aufwuchs eaters and come into the trade almost only as wilds caughts and almost starved and not accustomed to artificial food. The tank should be matured somewhat for 6-9 months before you add them. Otherwise they might starve. Getting them used to algae wafers, vegetables and frozen food can take too long before they drop dead, also leads to a lower water quality. Not saying to not add Otos, but wait until there is a sustainable layer of aufwuchs established, that will make it more likely to be successful with them.

6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Serpa Tetras
Stock up the cardinals to 10 and replace the H. eques with 8 red phantom tetras. Those don't grow as big and are not as overbearing which might lead to the bottomdwellers being outcompeted.

Albinos are from C. aeneus, C. sterbai or C. paleatus and as such grow relatively big. 6 or 7 Corydoras panda would probably fit better in your tank size.

Doing proper numbers here is not that easy and the tetras and cories being gregarious isn't helping. That might lead to the point where you will have to probably decie to ommit another species to prevent overstocking.

1 ram, 10 cardinals, 6-8 phantoms and 6-7 Cories is scratching the limits of that tank size, but at least the fish should not have problems due to underpopulation. Take a week or better two before adding the next species and cycle your tank well before adding the first fish, with these species you will want to do fishless cycling.

Start with the cories, 2 weeks later the ram, 2 weeks after that the cardinals and the phantoms last.

Prevail

Otocinclus are not easy in the beginning. They are specialized aufwuchs eaters and come into the trade almost only as wilds caughts and almost starved and not accustomed to artificial food. The tank should be matured somewhat for 6-9 months before you add them. Otherwise they might starve. Getting them used to algae wafers, vegetables and frozen food can take too long before they drop dead, also leads to a lower water quality. Not saying to not add Otos, but wait until there is a sustainable layer of aufwuchs established, that will make it more likely to be successful with them.

Stock up the cardinals to 10 and replace the H. eques with 8 red phantom tetras. Those don't grow as big and are not as overbearing which might lead to the bottomdwellers being outcompeted.

Albinos are from C. aeneus, C. sterbai or C. paleatus and as such grow relatively big. 6 or 7 Corydoras panda would probably fit better in your tank size.

Doing proper numbers here is not that easy and the tetras and cories being gregarious isn't helping. That might lead to the point where you will have to probably decie to ommit another species to prevent overstocking.

1 ram, 10 cardinals, 6-8 phantoms and 6-7 Cories is scratching the limits of that tank size, but at least the fish should not have problems due to underpopulation. Take a week or better two before adding the next species and cycle your tank well before adding the first fish, with these species you will want to do fishless cycling.

Start with the cories, 2 weeks later the ram, 2 weeks after that the cardinals and the phantoms last.
First of all, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me. Also, a question, could I do a smaller school of 7 or 8 cardinals to help with a reduced bio load?
First of all, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me. Also, a question, could I do a smaller school of 7 or 8 cardinals to help with a reduced bio load?
If so I think this should not be too heavy of a bio load, And of course I will properly cycle my tank (this is my second tank, so I have experience with fishless cycles, just not community aquariums)
So here is a reduced bio load version with your comments weighed in:
-1 Bolivian Ram
-8 Cardinal Tetras
-6 Red Phantom Tetras
-6 Panda Corys

MacZ

You're welcome.
8 is ok. They will disperse in the tank finding small display territories. Definitely make sure to have structures, as tetras bicker among each other. So some twigs reaching in the open water or from the surface down will be very helpful.
If so I think this should not be too heavy of a bio load, And of course I will properly cycle my tank (this is my second tank, so I have experience with fishless cycles, just not community aquariums)
So here is a reduced bio load version with your comments weighed in:
-1 Bolivian Ram
-8 Cardinal Tetras
-6 Red Phantom Tetras
-6 Panda Corys

Prevail

My question is Honey gouramis with galaxy rasboras. I am considering making a community tank with celestial pearl danios and pygmy corydoras but I am concerned larger fish will pick on Galaxy Rasboras

BigManAquatics

They might, but if they can't eat them easily, probably not. Just probably won't have a lot of fry survive if they breed.

Prevail

I want to try making a community of nano (under 2-3 inches) fish in my 29 gallon. This is the stocking I am thinking of:
-1 Pair of honey gouramis
-10 Galaxy Rasboras
-8 Pygmy Corys
-6 Spotted Blue-eyed Rainbow fish

Stripedbass

Yea that would be good. I would get more pygmy Corys.

Edit: You don't need more for them to be happy. I just love them!

Prevail

Yea that would be good. I would get more pygmy Corys.

Edit: You don't need more for them to be happy. I just love them!
I totally agree with the pygmy corys, I just would rather understock than risk overstocking. I've never kept pygmy corys before but every time I see them at the pet store or online they look so cool

Stripedbass

I totally agree with the pygmy corys, I just would rather understock than risk overstocking. I've never kept pygmy corys before but every time I see them at the pet store or online they look so cool
You're good. Trust me you will want more.The only thing I suggest is not getting that whole stock at once. Also I would recommend plants because..... I always recommend plants and also some sort of algae control. Your stocking will be good as long as you don't put everything in at once cycle the tank properly and stick to a strict water change schedule.

Prevail

I've done more thinking, and I'm leaning towards a betta as a centerpiece right now. So here is another updated tank stocking I've made
1 Female Betta
12-20 CPDs
6 Kuhli Loaches OR 12 Pygmy Corys
Of course, I will quarantine, provide the correct water parameters (around neutral), 79 degrees Fahrenheit, I will cycle, plant my tank, not add all of my fish at once, weekly water changes and a diverse diet

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Anteater
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank I need stocking ideas!!!
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium