Thoughts On Stocking 55 Gallon Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby_house

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm planing ahead on my 55 gal. upgrade and I was wondering if this stocking and set up would be okay?

So 55 gal. with :
  • 10 Cherry Barbs
  • 6 Otocinclus Catfish
  • 4 German Blue Rams
  • 20-25 Neon Green Tetras
  • 1 Zebra Nerite Snail
Would those choices be okay? Is it overstocked? Is there room for anything else? If yes what would you recommend?

So, for the tanks's set up I was thinking of having a mixture of flourite and some sand (so basically the substrate would be dark). Heavily planted with mostly S. American plants and a few floating ones, a piece or pieces of driftwood, some rocks and some coconut caves. I was also thinking of adding some leaf litter and allowing the tank to have tannin in the water.

I'm planing on setting this tank up with my canister filter (eheim 2213) that I've been using on my current tank since the end of 2016. When I set up the new tank could I transfer it right away along with the cherry barbs or would I need to wait? If I need to wait that would be fine, because I have an extra HOB filter I was planing on setting up near the end of that tanks life so I could continue to use the empty tank as a QT...

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Otos aren't temp compatible with the blue rams. You could substitute with bolivian rams instead. What about 3-4 pearl gouramis (1m/3f)?

You can move the canister filter but I'd add another filter that does at least 300gph for when you're fully stocked.

OP
Ruby_house

Ruby_house

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Otos aren't temp compatible with the blue rams. You could substitute with bolivian rams instead. What about 3-4 pearl gouramis (1m/3f)?

You can move the canister filter but I'd add another filter that does at least 300gph for when you're fully stocked.
If I don't add the otos would it be okay?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you got ones that are large enough or else I think the rams will quickly make a snack of them.

OP
Ruby_house

Ruby_house

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Would the rams be okay in a 55 gal., for example what if i end up getting mostly males? the LFS were i would get them buys them from someone who breeds them locally, so they're still pretty small in the store...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom