Thoughts on Stock for 60 gallon (4ft by 1 ft) aquarium with 20 gallon sump

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by Drspontaneouz83, Jul 24, 2015.

1. D

Drspontaneouz83 New Member Member

I will be ready to begin stocking my tank in the next 2 weeks. I have been doing some research but there seems to be a lot of different opinions. I might as well hear from some of you more experienced hobbyists:

Ideally,I would like to stock the tank with the following (not looking to upgrade for at least another 3-4 years)

1) Tiny Hippo Tang
    2) 2 Clown fish
    3) 1 butterfly (open to suggestions on which type of butterfly)

I am willing to limit the space (rock/coral) based on the needs of the fish to allow more surface area for swimming. I've noticed a lot of posts do not consider the swimming space available in tanks versus simply going based on how many gallons.

Thanks!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, hope you enjoy the forum :)
    Hopefully one of our salty keepers will be along to answer your questions

3. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

The clownfish would be fine, but I would not do the hippo tang. These guys grow surprisingly fast and when they get cramped for space, they get aggressive. Also, re-homing a fish that has outgrown your fish can be surprisingly difficult... not to mention how hard it can be to catch them (speaking from experience here, learn from my mistakes!)!

Most butterflies are going to require a larger tank than you have. You might get away with a pearlscale, but that could be iffy.

Other fish to look into that would be better suited to your aquarium size would be grammas, basslets, blennies, gobies, and hawkfish.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Drspontaneouz83 New Member Member

Quick update: After taking advice and doing some research, I think I have finalized my list. I just would like some feedback on introducing them.

(2)- Oscilaris Clownfish (1 black and white/1 orange and white): I will be sure to buy one larger than the other
    (1)- Bicolor Angelfish
    (1)- Blue Eyed Kole Tang (known as Two Spot Brittletooth tang)
    (1)- Longnose Hawkfish
    (1) Sleeper Gold Head Goby but not sure what shrimp to pair it with?

I want to get them all Small with the exception of one of the clownfish.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice