Thoughts On Purposely Buying A Sick Betta?

Buy a sick betta just to cure it?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Should I buy a sick betta just so I can cure it? I feel like the sick ones no one will buy, and will probably die if I don't.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if i see a sick betta with something i know how to cure or am able to get medication for then i will buy it. if they are sick chances are it will die at the store and wont find a home. if it is sick enough stores will sometimes give you a discount or give the betta to you for free.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
ZebraFishLover said:
Should I buy a sick betta just so I can cure it? I feel like the sick ones no one will buy, and will probably die if I don't.
I think you should, if you think you have the chance to save it, then totally. You'd be suprised at how much come back even the most deadest looking betta is. I got my girl when she was a baby and at some points I didn't know if she'd make it cause she seemed so frail due to the pet store's incompetence. But now here she is. It's a black and white photo.
IMG_20180429_130532.jpg

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've saved my fair share of sick bettas, but keep in mind that the only reason why the store is continuing to sell sick bettas is because people are continuing to buy them. When the fish die, the store loses money, and this encourages them to treat their fish better. Why change if you can spend less time and money by not taking care of the bettas and people will buy them anyway? It's sad, yes, but I think it's ultimately better to not support businesses that sell sick fish. The best thing to do is probably to speak to someone who works there about the issue or leave a review online.
It is really hard to say no to those little guys sometimes though

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BettaNation said:
I think you should, if you think you have the chance to save it, then totally. You'd be suprised at how much come back even the most deadest looking betta is. I got my girl when she was a baby and at some points I didn't know if she'd make it cause she seemed so frail due to the pet store's incompetence. But now here she is. It's a black and white photo.View attachment 435977
Cute ^^

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One time I saw bettas in small tanks and was talking about it and some lady came out and said that "bettas love it" they like the current." The bettas did not look well at all. I hope they got good homes. But that shows that the workers tend to not care.
IceFyre1414 said:
I've saved my fair share of sick bettas, but keep in mind that the only reason why the store is continuing to sell sick bettas is because people are continuing to buy them. When the fish die, the store loses money, and this encourages them to treat their fish better. Why change if you can spend less time and money by not taking care of the bettas and people will buy them anyway? It's sad, yes, but I think it's ultimately better to not support businesses that sell sick fish. The best thing to do is probably to speak to someone who works there about the issue or leave a review online.
It is really hard to say no to those little guys sometimes though

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ZebraFishLover said:
One time I saw bettas in small tanks and was talking about it and some lady came out and said that "bettas love it" they like the current." The bettas did not look well at all. I hope they got good homes. But that shows that the workers tend to not care.
That's true, which is why so many bettas in stores are in bad shape. They do care about their profit, though, which is why not buying bettas helps.

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ZebraFishLover said:
I think it depends on if you're prepared to put in the effort and heartache. It can be extremely stressful. I decided to get into rescuing bettas and ended up rescuing a batch of 13 all at once (my max was 5) and man was that a tough journey. But it was worth it. I think the reward of seeing how much healthier they become and knowing that without you they might never of had a nice life like this is work it.

(Or in my case they would of been bred and hurt more innocent lives that thankfully never had to exist)

While yes buying the sick ones shows stores they can get away with it, I really think that's a battle no one's going to win. They make money off of it regardless, they're going to keep doing it. I'm saying this as a florist who's store constantly buys thousands of dollars worth of plants knowing they're going to die in a few days cuz we can't take care of them right. But we sell a few healthy ones, just a few, and that keeps our numbers up thus we will continue to do it because we gained a profit in the eyes of the ledger. I'm fighting this on the inside with no luck. Really unless there was a major protest I wouldn't expect much difference between you buying or not buying them.

However, you can always try to educate them. Educate other customers. If you rescue to rehome educate the person you're rehoming them to.

Or you could always rescue from someone who can't take care of theirs or they don't know what to do and gave up. There's other options of where to rescue from, just gotta look and ask around.

mrdilling

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I couldn't tell you how many female bettas my wife has rescued from Wal-Mart. She's a real softy when it comes to those girls.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t think I would buy a sick fish just so I can try to treat it. The cost to medicate and the effort will almost make me not want to do fish keeping.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you do with them after they are cured?

I was looking for a few extra rainbows, so bought one at PetSmart that was in bad shape to take care of him. Rehoming must be hard, most people won't take proper care of them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom