Thoughts On Purigen?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Jhurst, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Jhurst

JhurstValued MemberMember

right now i have mechanical filtration>filter-floss and carbon> Biological filtration. Im thinking about removing the carbon and replacing it with purigen, and switching it to mechanical>Bio>floss and purigen. Thoughts? Anyone use this stuff instead of carbon?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I don't use carbon unless I'm removing meds, and I don't use Purigen either. It's not necessary to have a crystal clear, clean tank. If you want to add it though, go for it!

I would put the floss before the biomedia, so the biomedia stays cleaner. Clogging it with waste will kill some of the bacteria.

3. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

Don't use carbon, don't use purigen ... I have crystal clear water. I even run a diatom filter once a week on my tanks for three hours each and that filter is STILL CLEAN after it's done. FYI - a diatom filter removes anything larger than 1 micron. This filter really does nothing for me, except maybe remove parasites like ich.

Secret to crystal clear water is filtration ... lots of it. Lots of it arranged logically so it has maximum effect.

And your filtration plan is ganked ... imo.

It should run like this ...

Mechanical filtration (course, medium, and then fine filter floss) > bio-media > tank

Putting floss at the end of the line simply backs up debris in your biomedia - which you want to stay clean for maximum efficiency. If debris escapes your mechanical filtration - let it flow through the bio-media back into the tank ... catch it the next time around.

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Purigen and carbon do two different jobs. I use both. But I just started with Purigen two weeks ago. To soon to say if the cost and work (I have the large bottle and the bag) are worth it.

5. OP
    OP
    Jhurst

JhurstValued MemberMember

Swamp, right now the floss in my filter is right after my mechanical filtration not after the bio. Ill keep it that way for now, i bought some purigen to try because it was only 10$