Thoughts on plant type and placement.

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone. I'm just about to place the final order for some plants. This is for my 20 gallon rescape.

I'm pretty sure that this will be the hardscape layout. There will be more rocks and substrate when finished.
IMG_20200711_082730__01.jpg

My thoughts on species and placement.

Java Fern: In the centered area along the back glass and that large rock.

Vallisneria: Not sure about this but I am trying to use some of the plants that I already have. I figured that I could put some Vals to the left and right of the Java Fern.

Blyxa Japonica: I'm thinking mid ground here. In between some of the wood and rocks and on the outside on both sides.

Anubias Nana Petite: I think sort of mid ground or foreground off to the sides. They will be placed a little higher up the wood. Maybe attached to some rocks.

Pearlweed: My last attempt at a carpet. We'll see what happens.

Hygrophila Pinnatifida: Probably one to three stems placed somewhere in mid-background.

I like that this sort of looks like a "dead" scape. Almost desert like, so I am not sure if the plants chosen will work nicely with the horn wood.

Feedback appreciated!

Thanks!

Convoluted77

Reaction score
I think it would look great sparsely planted with small short stuff like the nana petite or buce or whatever attached to the wood and small patches of carpet.I kind of like the deadish look but with small signs of life.Nice looking wood you got there lol.

LochNessy

Reaction score
I also like the "deadish", desert look but you can take this in so many directions! I am a newbie and thought I'd offer my experience, although you seem to know what you are doing! Love the wood. What I have found out, too late for my first scape, was what I thought was my "Theme" or the feeling I wanted to convey changed when I added different types of plants, and I didn't realize how expensive it could get to get the right ones! I also failed to check on the light requirements for all the different plants (stupid, right?). Then, I tried to add contrast and layers and ended up with items that look like they exist independently in the scape, "without a connection" as one famous aquascaper has said. Are you going to have schooling fish or just leave it? Have fun and post pics when you're done!

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Convoluted77 said:
I think it would look great sparsely planted with small short stuff like the nana petite or buce or whatever attached to the wood and small patches of carpet.I kind of like the deadish look but with small signs of life.Nice looking wood you got there lol.
Lol. Thanks! I agree with the smaller plants. Almost like something is trying to thrive, but there is so much height in this tank. I feel like something has to be put there. Not sure.
LochNessy said:
I also like the "deadish", desert look but you can take this in so many directions! I am a newbie and thought I'd offer my experience, although you seem to know what you are doing! Love the wood. What I have found out, too late for my first scape, was what I thought was my "Theme" or the feeling I wanted to convey changed when I added different types of plants, and I didn't realize how expensive it could get to get the right ones! I also failed to check on the light requirements for all the different plants (stupid, right?). Then, I tried to add contrast and layers and ended up with items that look like they exist independently in the scape, "without a connection" as one famous aquascaper has said. Are you going to have schooling fish or just leave it? Have fun and post pics when you're done!
I did the same thing with this tank. I have a thread dedicated to it. I tried to rescape it so many times with small adjustments but I still wasn't happy. It just didn't feel like one piece. The tank is fully stocked at the moment. They are just in a temporary 10 gallon. You can check out my stock list under my aquariums info. It isn't the best stocking for this scape but I did sort of turn this from a family tank to my own. Lol.
jake37 said:
Do you plan on CO2 injection ?
Not at the moment. I know the plants will grow slowly but I use easy green, easy iron, root tabs, and I plan on putting a layer of potting soil or aquasoil down and then capping it with either the Eco-Complete or BDBS. I also have made sure that all plants bring purchased were grown submerged. This should definitely help stabilize them and prevent complete melting.

New Threads