Thoughts On My Stocking Plans? 55g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lucus Tate, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lucus TateNew MemberMember

This is pretty much my first aquarium. I had others as a child, but was a bad pet owner. I've done quite a bit of internet research, but I would like some eyes on my tentatively finished plan.

I have a 55 gallon tank with an Aqua-Tech 30-60 gallon filter, 300w heater, pool filter sand and some large rocks. I have hemianthus callitrichoides seeds (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TR3VGB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) along part of the tank that haven't taken off just yet. I plan on adding a sweet potato to the top so the roots will come down into the tank and provide some shelter.
    AqAdvisor says it's 97% stocked, but needs more filtration (at 76%)

The plan is to add these fish in this order in increments up to 5, one species at a time:

x2 Dwarf Gourami
    x6 Panda Cory
    x15 Rummy Nose Tetra
    x5 Mystery Snails
    x2 Angelfish

Thanks in advance!

MVIMG_20190126_215818.jpgMVIMG_20190126_215806.jpg

2. Brett S.Well Known MemberMember

Sounds good. I wouldnt trust aqadvisor on the filtration side. I also would've gone with a canister filter, but since you already have your filter it doesent matter much.

3. New fishesValued MemberMember

I would drop a few of the snails. I think the stock looks good. Just be prepared to potentially have issues with the Angels they could pair off, ignore each other or fight. I would recommend getting Younger ones.

4. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Panda corydoras aren’t temperature compatible with angelfish. They need colder water. Maybe try sterbai or aeneus and you can get a lot more than 6.

5. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Hello, and welcome back to the hobby :)

I agree about aqadvisor. Its a good base reference but not always quite accurate.

I also agree about the angels. 2 together could go either way, so just watch closely and maybe have a backup plan.

The only thing i would change is the panda corys. They tend to be pretty sensitive and don't do well in warmer waters. There are other cory species more suited to your tank. Sterbai (sp), dwarf, and i think bronze, are a few that come to mind.

6. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

You only want 1 DG. Males will fight and females are rare.

7. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Good point. A couple thicklips or honeys would be a nice, they are friendlier, and not susceptible to the DG irrodovirus. Look it up.. Not pretty, always fatal, and something like 25% of them have it.

8. AustinSValued MemberMember

I would add the rummynose tetras second to last and then angelfish last after getting a good cycle going. They are sensitive to bad water conditions (i.e. ammonia spikes during cycling). My first fish were rummynoses and I lost them in a couple weeks to ammonia poisoning because I had no idea what I was doing. I have heard angelfish can be sensitive as well and it is best to put in the most aggressive fish in last so they won't attack newcomers "invading" their territory. If you buy them as juveniles, they will grow up alongside your other fish and most likely will not see them as food later down the line.

If you would be willing to forgo the gouramis, you might have an easier time managing an understocked aquarium since this is your first aquarium. Something else you may want to consider is going with a bristlenose pleco over the school of corys. Unlike corys, plecos will eat algae as well and will help with keeping your aquarium looking nice and clean. Of course if you prefer the fish you have already chosen then go with the fish you want!

9. Lucus TateNew MemberMember

Thanks for all of the responses!

First of all, sorry for taking so long to get back here. I don't usually do the forum thing, and I expected to get an email informing me of replies. Maybe I just missed it?

So the tank/filter where bought second hand. Because of this I believe the bio section of the filter had a good head start. After running for a few days I tested the water to find ~6.8 pH, 0 ammonia/nitrite and 5.0 nitrate. So I decided to add the DG, (might have picked differently had I read the comments first o_O) 2 days in, they are very skittish and spend more than half of their time at the bottom half of the tank (normal from the change?), but no signs of aggression. The next day I tested the peramiters and found everything to be the same with the exception of pH. It was a little lower, in the 6.6 range.

This cold water cory info is very disappointing! I've heard plecos need driftwood and they get a bit bigger than I'm looking for at the moment. The sterbai might look good against the white color sand. Why do you say I can get a lot more than 6, Gourami36?

I'll drop the snail number down to 2 or 3, and hopefully they'll be enough to keep the algae down.

I'll put the snails before the rummynose, and get small angelfish so they'll grow up with their small tank mates. I'll try to do more research on them to increase my chances of getting a male and female.

Seeds have taken off! and the potatoes are in the upper left.
    MVIMG_20190130_161337.jpg