Thoughts on my new fish community

1. booboo7336 Initiate Member

In the end of first week of cycling with no fish, getting there but thinking of adding a few fish to help get me there, using eco.start to help the process. Thinking of adding these fish for my 29 high,

2 angels
    1 birstlenose pleco
    2-3 cory cats          (is pleco and cory's ok together and 2 corys ok?)
    3-4 tetra's or swordfish?
    1 redtail?

Which is bect to start with to help me cycle.

Any more ideas of fish that may fit better than above, I am only really stuck on having the angels

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

Bristlenose pleco should be ok with your cory cats. The redtail you mentioned is that the redtail shark or catfish. If its the redtail shark it would depend of it is a fairly good natured one that wont bully constantly like mine or Not.

Ive found that the Red tail shark and Bristlenose are fairly tough maybe ok for the cylce. But it be best that they are not baby ones. Not really small.

whats a swordfish? and tetras like bigger schools. Don't take any notice of my one neon he's a survivor of 12 which disappeared.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The Tetras would be good to start with but you need at least five as they like to school. If swordfish is swordtails about 3-6 can be added(1 male-2 females).The Corys and Bristlenose will be fine together but only add them after the cycling is done. Corys need at least three and more is better, bristlenose one. I'm afraid the redtail is going to be a little much as it will occupy the same area as the corys and bristlenose.
    Give the tank time to cycle and settle then add your angels. Your other fish need to be able to pick their territories and settle in before the angels are added. ;)
    After everyone is in and given some time you can see if you need/want to add more of something you already have. Sounds like its going to be a beautiful tank.
    Remember we love pictures here ;) Hope that helps.
    Carol

4. booboo7336 Initiate Member

UGH, I got the tetras but put cory's in all after day 5. Think they will be ok and anything I can do now?

Thanks for your help.

5. dano569 Member Member

will different kind of tetras school together. :-\

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Dano, if they are of similar shape they will school together.
    Carol

7. dano569 Member Member

cool,i have some black skirts,white skirts,and one lemon tetra i've had for close to 2 years. ;D do barbs school also?

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Dano I think their more of a shoaling fish than a schooling fish. Meaning they don't swim back and forth like neons but just kind of hang out together and move around in a group.
    Booboo as I said in your other post just watch the ammonia reading. The Corys are very sensitive to it ;)
    Carol

9. dano569 Member Member

what about salt for the corys butterfly?i've heard that salt is bad for corys :-\

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes you remember correctly, corys are very sensitive to salt and love clean, clear water.
    If I may ask, why are you asking about salt.
    Carol

11. dano569 Member Member

i was just wondering because i add salt to my cichlid tanks and not to my community tanks,and my corys are the only reason i don't add it to that tank.

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

ok I'm still curious :p(always gets me into trouble) why are you adding salt to your cichlid tanks? Didn't realize they needed it.
    Carol

13. dano569 Member Member

well,i've added it since i started keeping cichlids about 8 months ago.i don't think they need salt,but i think the salt i use helps with gill function and says it helps with stress.some of my friends use instant ocean with their cichlids,but i use the salt that api makes. ;D

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thats cool, was just wondering if you were having problems since salt isn't usually used with freshwater fish unless they are under the weather ;) We all do things a little differently and if your fish are happy and healthy- then keep up the good work :D (still waiting for pics) ;D
    Carol

15. dano569 Member Member

i will get them up soon.i've got to get a camera first.they seem do good with the salt and the stress coat. ;D 8) i've been workind hard on my tanks lately.i've still got some fish that a friend is gonna get from me.i've almost got my tanks how i want them now. ;D