Thoughts on my 50 gallon stock list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Harris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm new to aquariums and have recently purchased a 50 gallon. I'm currently in the process of doing a fishless cycle. (Thanks for all the help on this forum where that's concerned.) I have been doing quite a bit of research and I believe that I have a reasonable stock list.

1- Angelfish
2- Rainbowfish
6- Harlequin Rasbora
6- Neon Tetra
6- Kuhli Loach

Please feel free to give any comments or suggestions. As I stated I'm new to the hobby and would love any and all input.(positive or negative) Thanks in advance for everyone's time!

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
First let me say welcome to the forum!

What kind of rainbowfish? Do you mean rainbow cichlids or rainbowfish? As rainbowfish need at least 6 in a school

Also Neon tetras are not compatible with angelfish as angelfish will eventually eat them and they need much warmer water than a neon tetra can handle long term.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

Personally I think you can up the schools a bit. You can do 12 -15 kuhli loaches as well as 12-15 rasbora.

OP
J

Jordan Harris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your quick responses. I was thinking about a Boesemani Rainbow. Do they need 6 or more? I don't know the exact dimensions. I'll check when I get home. I do know that it's 48" wide. Any other ideas for small shool in fish?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I think 6 boesemani are going to stock your tank and leave very little room left. A 48 inch wide tank is good. Here would be my suggestions

1 Angelfish
10 Praecox Rainbows (these stay about 2.5 inches)
10-12 Harlequin Rasbora/Cardinal Tetra
12-15 Kuhli Loach

OR

1 Angelfish
2-3 (M/F or M/2F) Pearl Gourami
Choose 1 Schooling fish in the numbers above
12-15 Kuhli Loach

Edit: I still think in either case you would probably have room left for some other dwarf cichlid that would stay at the bottom like a bolivian ram, apistos, rainbow cichlid, keyhole, etc.

OP
J

Jordan Harris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So if I put

1-Angelfish
10-Praecox Rainbows
10-12 Harlequin Rasbora
12-15 Kuhli Loach

How many dwarf cichlids could I add? Also I've got a 10 gallon tank that I am planning to buy orange sakura shrimp and one dwarf orange crayfish. My plans are to use the 10 gallon as a shrimp breeding tank. Once I have a few young adult shrimp are they safe in the 50 gallon? Would the dwarf orange crayfish be safe in the 50? Thanks again for your time.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Your angelfish and dwarf cichlid will likely eat the shrimp. And if they are small enough the kuhli's would probably as well. I'm not sure about the crayfish but I personally would not

As far as dwarf cichlids go, you could do 1 of any of the following: Bolivian Ram, Rainbow Cichlid, keyhole, krib, laetacara curviceps/dorsigera, or sajica cichlid. Or you could do a pair of apistos. Probably some others that would work too.

OP
J

Jordan Harris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I didn't mind the shrimp being eaten, are they a healthy snack for the others? If I have an abundance of shrimp I don't mind losing a few. Thanks again for your help.

I have another question. I have a fluval 303 canister filter. It's an older model but seems to have never really been used.(I picked it up off craigslist) I have modified my own spray bar to run the length of the tank for plenty of surface agitation. Is this going to be enough filtration?

Last edited by a moderator:

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If I didn't mind the shrimp being eaten, are they a healthy snack for the others? If I have an abundance of shrimp I don't mind losing a few. Thanks again for your help.
Your cichlids would love you for it.

As far as the canister goes, no. From a google search it appears a fluval 303 is about 220 gph. That is roughly half the filtration you will need. It is good to have 10 times the filtration of your tank volume. 50 gallons needs 500 gph.

I would suggest investing in a sunsun 303/403 which has about 300 gph or an aquaclear 70 which is an hob with the same gph. The hob will be a little bit cheaper, but the canister will be quieter and you can just hide it with the other canister. These are the cheap routes but there are other more expensive routes you could take as well.

JimTheFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your cichlids would love you for it.

As far as the canister goes, no. From a google search it appears a fluval 303 is about 220 gph. That is roughly half the filtration you will need. It is good to have 10 times the filtration of your tank volume. 50 gallons needs 500 gph.

I would suggest investing in a sunsun 303/403 which has about 300 gph or an aquaclear 70 which is an hob with the same gph. The hob will be a little bit cheaper, but the canister will be quieter and you can just hide it with the other canister. These are the cheap routes but there are other more expensive routes you could take as well.
You don't need 8-10x turnover with a canister. Some they have more media, a canister would be 5-8x

That being said, that 303 is just the bare minimum for that tank. I would supplement it with a small AquaClear HOB, possibly the AC 30. You don't need much as you're just barely under with the canister alone.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I personally think it's better to have 8-10 x even for a canister for the simple fact that a canister can reduce gph up to 40% when filled with media. If this canister is already at roughly 50% gph for this tank, then reducing it even more could result in 2-3x turnover.

OP
J

Jordan Harris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I'm going to get a sun sun hw-304b 525hph with a 9w uv filter. Does anyone have any experience with this filter? Thanks to everyone for your responses.

lazylahma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes it's a wonderful filter I ran one on a 65 gallon tank I would check numbers and never had any bad Chems in the tank I ended up only doing 2 water changes a year never opened the filter after setting it up I would usually run the uv light for a week on and a week off just to save on the bulb but my water was always crystal clear after over 2 years of use and a year in storage the light still functions and the only parts I have to replace are the hoses and tubes I threw away instead of cleaning

lazylahma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Absolutely worth the price for them canister filters can be very pricy I was worried when I ordered mine as no one I knew had ever heard of it and at such a cheap price I figured I would get cheap quality I figured I would give it a try and if it didn't work then I would spend the money for a name brand filter since I got mine(aquatop brand not sunsun although they are the same thing) I recommend them to anyone I can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom