Thoughts On Filtration

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Disc-ram 83, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Disc-ram 83

Disc-ram 83 New Member Member

Hello everyone what's your thoughts and experience with filter media . I meant manufacturer replacement media sponges ,water polishing, VS D.Y.I . I have a mix of filter,s ,Fulval FX4, Marineland 360, Sunsun 303B 9w UV, National Geographic 70 with 9w UV. Old school Fulval 203 . So I was looking into a little cheaper and more convenient way to replace media . I currently run the manufacturer corse sponges, then bio-max, then water polish pads replacements for each brand of filter. I have read a lot of post about D,I,Y media .my LFS sells cut to fit pads for a reasonable price. I have priced cotton batting /poly-fil. Now some of the the items from craft-departments are cheaper. My fish are my babys I want the best I can do for them all . With all the water changes I have 8 tanks plus other pets. What's your thoughts and experience on media OE media replacement vs DIY .Thank you all

2. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I'll use manufacturer supplied bio-media such as bio-max and would use supplied sponges.

I use the cut to fit pads for anything else.

3. OP
    OP
    Disc-ram 83

Thank you.

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I make my own set ups. If you buy the big containers you can definitely supply 8 filters with it. It may cost a bit more up front, but it will literally last for years. You will be only replacing filter floss about once a month, and that is super cheap. Here is how I have mine set up

Prefilter sponge on/intake intake (coarse sponge) then using separate media bags, dense sponge, crushed coral (for my pH issues don't use unless absolutely necessary), ceramic rings, & filter floss. I was able to use one medium container of ceramic rings for 3 filters and I still have some left over.

I have found this first video the best one so far at explaining how to customize filter media for all sorts of brands/types. The second video walks you through some of the actual types of media to choose from.

If you want to see my filter set up I have it under my tank build that I set up this week.

Allie's 29 Gallon Build

5. OP
    OP
    Disc-ram 83

Thank you. For your time I will watch the video.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and welcome to the forum :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice