Thoughts On Eheim Ecco Pro Canister Filter

JimTemp
In my planning for a new 50 gallon freshwater planted community tank, filtration has been a frequent focus. I'm sold on a Seachem Tidal HOB filter, but many in the Fishlore community here have recommended having an additional filter. I've mostly considered another Tidal or AquaClear, but I would be remiss if I didn't consider a canister. The canister I'm looking at is the Eheim Ecco Pro (Easy 80 gal. with Media). It pushes out 198 gph. Aside from it's quality, this model is promoted as easier to maintain then other canister filters - which would be a big plus for me.
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Zigi Zig
I would use Eheim Ecco there is better choices there and cheaper.. for example

JimTemp
Zig, the reviews for SunSun HW-302 are scary on Amazon. Five people complained about leaks alone. Then there's flow rate, hard to prime, hard to get parts, cheap plastic .... But the reason I'm posting this thread is for advise, and you must of had a good experience with the SunSuns?

Black Thumb
Out of curiosity, why not the Eheim Classic?

When I looked for my 2215 I looked at the Ecco and that handle sounds too fragile for prolonged use. You may find someone else on here with experience with the filter who can disprove what I've read, but I don't know if I'd trust it.

Hopefully, this is useful information. At your budget if I were looking for something from Eheim, I'd be looking at the 2215. On a 50 I'd also be looking for a second filter, maybe an HOB Aquaclear or Fluval C-Series, so you're on the right track with the Seachem IMHO.

Zigi Zig
Zig, the reviews for SunSun HW-302 are scary on Amazon. Five people complained about leaks alone. Then there's flow rate, hard to prime, hard to get parts, cheap plastic .... But the reason I'm posting this thread is for advise, and you must of had a good experience with the SunSuns?
I been using sunsun for 5 fish tanks and so far no issues don't base on few peopel have bad experience cheap plastic what do you think eheim is made from lol is over priced German product so is fluval I was able to get fluval fx6 from petsmart $197 now is back $287.00 so if the store is able to drop price like that how much mark up is on sell price.

JimTemp
" Out of curiosity, why not the Eheim Classic?"

"When I looked for my 2215 I looked at the Ecco and that handle sounds too fragile for prolonged use. You may find someone else on here with experience with the filter who can disprove what I've read, but I don't know if I'd trust it."

Black Thumb, Agreed. Instead of using two HOB filters, I decided on the combo of the Seachem Tidal 110 HOB and an Eheim Classic 2217 canister. Think I'm covered in my 50 gal.!

JimTemp
Zig: "don't base on few people have bad experience"

Must have read 50 reviews, on websites as well as consumers. Just too many questions, problems and risk. Other than cost, you won't find any nay-sayers on the Eheim Classics - over many many years of sustainable performance. Better to be safe than sorry. But I appreciate your time and input, thanks again!

Zigi Zig
Zig: "don't base on few people have bad experience"

Must have read 50 reviews, on websites as well as consumers. Just too many questions, problems and risk. Other than cost, you won't find any nay-sayers on the Eheim Classics - over many many years of sustainable performance. Better to be safe than sorry. But I appreciate your time and input, thanks again!
Here is my eheim after 4 month purchased. eheim support didn't either honor warranty with purchase ticket .

Black Thumb

JimTemp, sounds like a good solution. You can never really have too much filtration. I expect the 2217 to be a good filter long term, and the parts are available if you need to replace anything. Totally worth it, by the way, to buy the Installation Sets, which make it much easier to clean everything top to bottom.

As for cleaning the canister, two buckets and the laundry sink are all I require. I've gotten pretty efficient at cleaning mine. Let me know if you struggle to figure out a procedure. Best of luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Mongo75
Replies
Views
BC23
Replies
Views