• I guess I could see why people like them

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I don’t really care for them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn’t keep one

• Don’t like them

• Eewwwww, there nasty and I would never keep them!

• Total voters

CaptainAquatics

HI all! So what are everyone’s thoughts of keeping eels, it can be any kind of eel but I am more talking freshwater eels, or freshwater eel like fish (ex: tire track eel, fire eel, spiny eel, ect.). I personally have a tire track eel that is starting to get big (8-9”) and I love him. I barely ever see him because he is in my 130 which has a pretty nice cave system for him but I just spent about thirty minutes watching him swim around after I turned the lights off and it got me wondering who else on here likes eels. Also I would like to adress kuhlI loaches, I think they count. The don’t look as close to saltwater eels as a tire track or fire eel does but they are still eel like. I find that when I say I have an eel I get one of three reactions: Cool, eeeeewww, or ok. Just they always seem to be surprised and interested, disgusted because their “slimy”, or just don't care. What do you think of eels? And also I can’t wait until my tire track is 2-3’ long, that will be so fun!!!!!!

jinjerJOSH22

Pretty Cool and i'd love to keep one but there's no "true" freshwater Eel. I would love to keep a Snowflake but I have no interest in setting up a Saltwater not to mention it would have to be fairly big.

CaptainAquatics

Pretty Cool and i'd love to keep one but there's no "true" freshwater Eel. I would love to keep a Snowflake but I have no interest in setting up a Saltwater not to mention it would have to be fairly big.

I do belive there is a true freshwater eel, the freshwater moray eel I belive is a “true” eel

jinjerJOSH22

I do belive there is a true freshwater eel, the freshwater moray eel I belive is a “true” eel
I'm pretty sure they still migrate to brackish as they age.

CaptainAquatics

I'm pretty sure they still migrate to brackish as they age.

I don’t know, I haven't looked into them much

Feohw

"Freshwater" moray eels are one of the many fish that are sold as freshwater, when in reality they thrive in brackish and even full marine environments. They are sold as freshwater fish as they tend to be caught during the periods when they move into freshwater. Some argue that they are born in marine environments and then move to freshwater to live out their lives. But I've often heard that they live shorter lives and are more fragile when kept in fresh, while they live for 10+ in brackish/marine, so I wouldn't recommend keeping them fresh.

Other than that, I love the freshwater eels. They aren't necessarily my favourite, but I'd love to own one. The LFS I don't like as much has a large fire eel that I always admire when I go in. I love kuhlI loaches for their eelish appearance too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
Coptapia
Replies
Views
Nikki2577
  • Question
Replies