Thoughts on 15 Gallon Tank Stocking 15 Gallon Tank

1. 4outof5 Initiate Member

I'm setting up a 15 gallon tank and could use some advice. Currently I've got 5 ghost shrimp, and a few plants. Picture: http://imgur.com/ZTbYMQA

I'm thinking about one male and two female dawf gouramis. Would that be a good fit for the tank size? Alternatively I really like white mountain cloud minnows, and could get a school of them. If I did that, how many would work? Before I get any fish, I plan on adding more plants.

Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome.
    Congratulations on setting up your tank. The ghost shrimp may make it with enough cover-just remember that most fish if given the opportunity will eventually eat them.
    I love gouramis but the dwarf, at least those I have bought in the past are just not healthy. I have read this is due to overbreeding, etc. I am not sold on those for beginner fish.
    I also have never had the white mountain cloud and not sure the size they reach or anything else about them. Perhaps someone else will respond with additional comments. If not, you can perform a search on this site (top right side) entering the species and for most, it will provide detailed information.
    Good luck!

3. 4outof5 Initiate Member

Thanks! I'm no expert, but I'm not new to fresh water tanks either. I had this one heavily planted before: http://imgur.com/sK0Hsn8 and kept it as a betta sorority for a few years. But when I moved I gave them away. Now that I'm setting it up again, I thought Id see what others thought. The tank will probably end up somthing like how it was before, but with more open water area

4. JeffK Well Known Member Member

I agree with Claire's suggestion to steer clear of dwarf gouramis, at least those from LFS. You could, however, try a couple honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna) - not to be confused with honey dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius). Another small gourami that would work well are sparkling gouramis - you could go with a trio of them.

I have a 15 gal with 8x pygmy cores, 4x peacock gudgeons, and 1x honey gourami - they've all gotten along real well for about a year now. I'm trying to think of others I considered last year before settling on my current stock... 6-10x ember tetras, 6-10x celestial pearl danios, 6-10x endlers, 6-8x dwarf cories (corydora pygmaeus, corydora hastatus, or corydora habrosus), or even up to 6 male guppies or male platys. Keep bouncing ideas off everyone in the forum - we're all here to help each other!

5. 4outof5 Initiate Member

Too bad about the dawrfs; the ones I oggled at the LFS were so pretty... But there *was* a dead'un in the tank. I'll look over their other gouramis when I next get plants. Thanks.

6. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Although I don't get fish from my LFS very often anymore (mostly mail-order now), one of my rules was that if there were any dead fish in the tank I intended to buy from, I'd leave empty handed!

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

White cloud mountain minnows are a cool water fish so aren't compatible with gourami temperatures.
    Once your tank is cycled you could have a trio of honey gourami with a school of tetras or rasboras, there are lots of species to choose from.
    My personal favourite at the moment are microdevario kubotai, they don't look very impressive in the Lfs but once settled they have flashes of neon green & if you like a lot of activity in the middle level of your tank they certainly deliver.
    No tank imo is complete without some corys for the bottom, again lots of species to choose from but look at ones that stay around the 2" mark or under, Planet catfish is a good resource.
    Look forward to seeing your tank when it's set up :)