Thoughts, ideas any input appreciated

1. Jayha68 Member Member

Hi all!

I'm new to the forums and aquariums but I'm having some success with my first venture (see tank details). I plan on moving to a larger apartment in about 3 months and would like to build my own acrylic tank (I've researched the heck out of it and feel comfortable doing the construction).

Tank details:
    72"X24"X24"X acrylic rectangular 180gallon

Filter:
    Eheim Professional 3 XL Aquarium Canister Filter 2080
    or
    2X Eheim Professional 3 Aquarium Canister Filter 2075 (thinking for added water flow)

Substrate:
    Flourite

Live Plants:
    Broadleaf,
    Water wisteria
    Java fern
    Dwarf hygrophilia

Fish:
    30 GloFish® (Danio rerio)
    12 Albino Cory Cats
    1 Gold nugget Pleco
    Possibly Swordfins or Mollies (leaning away from mollies even though I love them not sure they'd do well with the other fishes water preference)

Now, I'm still doing my research but for you have larger tanks, here are my questions.
    1. Would you recommend the two filters instead of one for water changes, adjusting any cycling issues etc?
    2. Is a surface skimmer something I should look at for a tank this size?
    3. If I go with the one filter, should I look for some way to move the water so there's a 'current' in the tank?
    4. I prefer lots of smaller fish that are active and school over big fish, Any recommendations for what will et along with the ones I plan on having?

Thanks in advance I'm sure I missed some critical things to put in but the excitement of putting this on paper has me rather excited.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would absolutely get 2 filters. I have canisters with built in surface skimmers - if you are going to build the tank yourself, I'm sure you could DIY a skimmer onto the intake of the filter. I'll send some pics if you want so you have something to copy. If you only got one filter, I would surely set up a powerhead at the opposite side to move the water back to the filter. I would have the spraybar mounted on the side glass to move the water the length of the tank, instead of the width (as is "normal", though I don't know why - mine all go the length).

You could literally do just about anything in a tank that big. My 90 is stocked with lots of little fish, with a couple of big fish. I really enjoy it. I would get a few barb species, a few tetra species, a couple rainbow species, a couple species of loaches, a bunch of dwarf cichlids, a few angelfish and a school of pearl gouramis.

I'd also get a 5 lb bucket of NLS to feed them all :)

3. Jayha68 Member Member

I'd love the pictures! I'm a plumber and carpenter by trade and after researching how to build it and the costs over just buying one I may end up just buying one. (build it myself about $600-750 or buy for around $1000 not sure if it's worth the risk over $300).

My concerns with the angelfish is as he gets bigger wont he eat the danios when he gets bigger and wouldn't the tetra's harass the angelfish?I did look at the rainbows and may lean that way they are neat to look at.

Anyone have alot of albino cory cats or cory cats in general? Whenever I see them at the pet store they tend to be in a big clump, I currently have 2 (LFS recomended 2) and after more research finding they'll be happier with 6. Will they clump in a larger tank as they school?

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have 7 albino cories in my 30gal, when they actually sit still ( they are really hyper, constanly zooming all over the tank, up and down, across, playing in the bubbles) then they do tend to stick together.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Another cool thing about buying one is that they generally come with a x ammount of year gaurentee against leaks and such.

6. Jayha68 Member Member

Wow that's a lot of tanks! Does my plant selection seem ok to you? I looked in the forums and then googled them to make sure they were easy to maintain. Just want to make sure I'm not biting off more then I can chew with this setup.

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I am not familiar with all of the ones you are mentioning. I have used java fern and java moss and they were super easy in my 55 gallon. The java fern had a harder time in my 125 but it still grew just didn't blow up like it had done previously.

I really like Amazon swords. Those grow like mad in my tank. They are constantly shooting off with babies. Then dwarf lily plants do well in my tanks and I have some sort of cyrpt that does well too.

I also like banana plants they look super nice when they are growing. You'll probably have to cut them down a lot but its not bad.