Thoughts and advice on my first aquascape

CoolCoryCatz

So this is my first tank and I could use some opinions and some advice from you guys. It’s not nearly as impressive as a lot of the stuff on here but it’s definitely my work in progress. I feel my biggest shortcoming is a lack of depth. Ideas for rescaping or plant recommendations are welcome ofc! And trust me the fluval stratum bothers me more than it bothers you lol

Attachments

• 990072DA-4192-4DF5-92E5-2A4899F22232.jpeg
    990072DA-4192-4DF5-92E5-2A4899F22232.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 6CDEF023-36DE-4D9D-BCAD-C42920F5161E.jpeg
    6CDEF023-36DE-4D9D-BCAD-C42920F5161E.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 73
  • 02986960-F571-4D43-A286-EC55C586E9A9.jpeg
    02986960-F571-4D43-A286-EC55C586E9A9.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 64

AggressiveAquatics

It looks really good. I would just suggest a carpeting plant like dwarf sag for that empty space in the middle and some taller plants like some type of vallisneria for the back

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

It looks really good. I would just suggest a carpeting plant like dwarf sag for that empty space in the middle and some taller plants like some type of vallisneria for the back
Thank you! How would you suggest I grow a healthy carpet of dwarf sag? Ive never tried a carpeting plant before

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Thank you! How would you suggest I grow a healthy carpet of dwarf sag? Ive never tried a carpeting plant before
Liquid fertilizer from marcusfishtanks is what I use

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

Liquid fertilizer from marcusfishtanks is what I use
Gotcha, for carpeting plants I know the plants have to be close together but how do you prevent crowding of the roots or plants themselves?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Gotcha, for carpeting plants I know the plants have to be close together but how do you prevent crowding of the roots or plants themselves?
They don’t have to be close together. They will eventually grow more and grow closer together but they don’t need to be planted close
Oh and I should add I recommend getting plants from marcusfishtanks as well

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

So this is my first tank and I could use some opinions and some advice from you guys. It’s not nearly as impressive as a lot of the stuff on here but it’s definitely my work in progress. I feel my biggest shortcoming is a lack of depth. Ideas for rescaping or plant recommendations are welcome ofc! And trust me the fluval stratum bothers me more than it bothers you lol
I think your tank is off to a great start! Aggressive has given you some solid advice on a few plant choices you could use. There are many easy plants out there you should try to incorporate into this setup and it can be tough for a beginner to decide which ones to pick. I'll tell you what, if you decide on different plants (I can help you with this too, all I would need is some basic info on your tank such as lighting, fert schedule, and the addition of root tabs), I may be able to make a mock up design with the new plants photoshopped in the image for you so you know what to expect in your new design. I am getting off for the night right now, but feel free to continue messaging in this current thread and I should respond by tomorrow morning.
Happy Scaping, CoolCoryKatz!

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

I think your tank is off to a great start! Aggressive has given you some solid advice on a few plant choices you could use. There are many easy plants out there you should try to incorporate into this setup and it can be tough for a beginner to decide which ones to pick. I'll tell you what, if you decide on different plants (I can help you with this too, all I would need is some basic info on your tank such as lighting, fert schedule, and the addition of root tabs), I may be able to make a mock up design with the new plants photoshopped in the image for you so you know what to expect in your new design. I am getting off for the night right now, but feel free to continue messaging in this current thread and I should respond by tomorrow morning.
Happy Scaping, CoolCoryKatz!
Thank you so much that would be amazing! I’ll type up a list in the morning as well! I don’t use anything impressive but so far it’s worked for me. In the tank right now I have anacharis, rotala indica, Anubias nana, umbrella hair grass, Amazon sword, broadleaf chain sword, and a tiger lotus bulb and I’d love suggestions on what else I could add! I use Aqeoun plant food as my fertilizer (15floz a week), flourish root tabs, and 6-8 hours of light from my Nicrew classic LED plus. I’m honestly not in love with the rotala indica nor the umbrella hairgrass so if there are better suggestions I’m all ears! I can provide any extra information or clarify anything you need. Thank you again for your help :)

Upvote 0

Racing1113

Dwarf sag really needs root tabs for good growth.

Upvote 0

isabeldiwata

What an impressive first tank sounds like you’re moving closer to your vision for it, so I’m wishing you luck and a fun time creating your scape!

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

What an impressive first tank sounds like you’re moving closer to your vision for it, so I’m wishing you luck and a fun time creating your scape!
Thank you! I did a lot of research and browsed a lot of threads before I started and it’s been months in the making! I love working on it :)

Upvote 0

MacZ

Leave the carpeting plants in that case. Prevents the bottomdwelling fish from getting to the substrate, which is essential for them. Also, frankly, carpeting plants would ruin the look in my opinion.

The tank right now has a great almost-biotope look, I would just let the plants grow in some more, add a bit of leaf litter and floating plants. Also move the waterweed in the front right corner, as it would do better with more light.

And trust me the fluval stratum bothers me more than it bothers you lol

Take a small colander or sieve for that. ;)

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

Leave the carpeting plants in that case. Prevents the bottomdwelling fish from getting to the substrate, which is essential for them. Also, frankly, carpeting plants would ruin the look in my opinion.

The tank right now has a great almost-biotope look, I would just let the plants grow in some more, add a bit of leaf litter and floating plants. Also move the waterweed in the front right corner, as it would do better with more light.

Take a small colander or sieve for that. ;)
I see what you mean but the water weed grows frankly like a weed (if you’re talking about the anacharis)! The anacharis in the front right I like to keep short and since there’s no light getting there I don’t know what else I could put there. Also yeah I was thinking about that with the carpeting plants so thanks for confirming that for me, what kind of foreground plants would you suggest if any? The colander tip is so genius but so simple! Thank you!

Upvote 0

MacZ

see what you mean but the water weed grows frankly like a weed (if you’re talking about the anacharis)! The anacharis in the front right I like to keep short and since there’s no light getting there I don’t know what else I could put there.

Yes, "Anacharis". Officially the genus is obsolete and all have been moved to the Elodea and Egeria genuses. ;)
I'd leave the front corner open, as this will likely become a cory resting place (has all the necessary characteristics) so you have a better look at them.

Also yeah I was thinking about that with the carpeting plants so thanks for confirming that for me, what kind of foreground plants would you suggest if any?

Now, the whole idea of foreground, middleground of background plants is a bit... I dunno, never been into Aquascaping, always had my focus on recreating biotopes.
With the plants you have, the Lotus will grow floating leaves that bring shade, which the fish love. The sword will also become much more voluminous. The Elodea will grow to the surface and grow floating patches, too.

So I think carpeting or foreground plants are money thrown out of the window. Rather scatter some oak leaves or magnolia or IALs as structural leaf litter on the sand, your fish will appreciate this.

As you asked for alternatives to the rotala and hairgrass: Try brasilian pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala) I love that stuff.

With the fertilizers: As your tank is not a high-tech planted tank and most of your plants are pretty undemanding, try to dial down the ferts to a minimum.

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

Looks great for a first tank, very natural. The piece of wood in the front and the big piece at the back creates a good sense of depth. I think you should slap a black background on there. The plants on the left look a bit messy, if you like that then it's OK but I would sort them out a little. I also think if u line the whole back or at least the back left with pearlweed it would give even more depth. Are u able to plant behind that big piece of wood?

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

Looks great for a first tank, very natural. The piece of wood in the front and the big piece at the back creates a good sense of depth. I think you should slap a black background on there. The plants on the left look a bit messy, if you like that then it's OK but I would sort them out a little. I also think if u line the whole back or at least the back left with pearlweed it would give even more depth. Are u able to plant behind that big piece of wood?
There isn’t much space behind the wood and no light gets there unfortunately. And I agree it looks messy!! The pearlweed is a great idea :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies
Views
hpt84
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas
Replies