Thoughts About Schooling Fish

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These are just my random thoughts. I have kept fish singly that now are recommended to be kept in schools. I just wonder if it's really that necessary with tank raised fish. The main reason that fish school in the wild is for survival. If you're a fish and by yourself and a predator shows up, your chances are pretty slim since you are the only one he can chase. Now, if you're in a group and the same predator attacks, you and your friends can scatter in different directions and have a much better chance of escaping since the predator will focus on the easiest one to catch. There aren't many predators in an aquarium, none if it's stocked correctly, so are these schooling requirements really that necessary? The fish won't need to be in a group to feel safe as much as in the wild.

ChuthuluFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO. I think they need schools. Think of it this way. If you’re a human you probably want to be in a group school/work/dungeons &dragons group. It’s instinct, some fish, and humans need groups or they can go into depression or hiding.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ChuthuluFish said:
IMO. I think they need schools. Think of it this way. If you’re a human you probably want to be in a group school/work/dungeons &dragons group. It’s instinct, some fish, and humans need groups or they can go into depression or hiding.
Actually, I'm very much of a loner myself. I hate parties or any groups larger than 3.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To me any way they seem to color up better and dont hide as much in schools.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
depends on the fish i think. Many big cichlids tend to do best alone. Were as corys for example, having multiple of them causes them to display much more natural behavior. small schooling fish i find enjoy being in groups. Makes them feel secure.
i have a trio of honey gouramis. All three hang out together 24/7. But idk, i find that they seem quite happy that way. With some fish, i think having too many might have an opposite effect and the fish will hide more.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom