Thoughts about adding another pleco.... 50 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by e_watson09, Apr 1, 2010.

1. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well so me and my mom have had my 50 gal tank up and running for about 2 years now and we've had the same pleco in there since we set up the tank when we got him he was 1/2 inches at most and now he's close to 6 inches long. I'm thinking that since he is getting old and I don't know how much longer he'll be sticking around I'm debating getting another very small pleco and letting him grow up in my tank. How long do plecos usually live in tanks? I know the information page on them says 10 years but I've never had one last over a year.

Oh also since I have been keeping the tank very clean recently I'm picking up some algae wafers today at work other than that what is good for him to eat? I've noticed he's messed with the marine seaweed stuff that I put in there for my silver dollars. But what else is good for him. I want him to stay as healthy as possible.

2. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Corgette(you guys call it zucchini) is very good for plecos.

3. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would say no to getting another pleco. I'm worried by the fact that your pleco's only last about a year :(

4. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Do I just slice it and put a piece in? Do I have to peel it?

5. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Just slice and cut a bit off the skin so it isn't completely round and weigh it down with a piece of lead, like what is used for plants.

6. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

I've never honestly paid much attention I'm talking back in the day before I had this tank so I don't really remember but it would have been like 5+ years ago. This guy has been here basically since the tank has been set up. I'm not sure how long they live in a home tank. Like for instance when you read about how long an animal can live it doesn't always happen that way. So I'm just wondering in general how long to people's plecos last. Because he is my buddy I have lots of names for him (compared to my other fish which I call "fish" or "fishie") I just don't want him to just go and then my tank get really dirty. Idk it's just a thought I'm tossing around now that I've realized how old he is. I'm going to be getting something to help with the clean up on the bottom of the tank soon tho because he's getting lazy.

okay thanks for all the information it's been really helpful.

7. platy ben

If you say your pleco is about 2 years old now, he should last around another 10 years if the water parameters stay clear and he isn't bullied etc..
    Admittedly, pleco's do get lazier as they get older.

8. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

I'm guessing that's how old he is it's ballpark 2-3 years maybe but yeah and he's really sturdy he's lived through the hurricane in ohio with no power for a week and my mom abandoning the tank for two months so now that I'm actually taking care of him I hope he'll stick around that long :)

9. platy ben

He should do :)
    Is he your favourite by any chance? :p
    I think he will be okay in your 50G for a bit longer, however what would you think to getting him a nice tank, maybe 70G?
    Once hes an adult he will love a nice big tank as they can reach around 2 foot long provided a big enough tank :)

10. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Well my favorite fish in general are balloon mollies and I have a bunch right now in a 10 gal so I'm quite fond of them but he probably is my favorite single fish he just reminds me of a dinosaur I'm thinking of giving him another name soon. But idk about getting a bigger tank anytime soon. If he gets too large I'll probably take him to work and put him in the pond tank we have it's over 100 gal and I think he'd be happy in there. But for now he's only 5 or 6 inches. If my mom gives up saltwater anytime soon I'll take her 150 gal salt and turn it into a freshwater and put him in there :) but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. If I move out I'll probably take him and my boyfriend is a fish nerd like me and he wants a 265gal so that's where mister dinosaur will end up if he sticks around.

11. platy ben

I think he will be okay in the tank you have now for quite a bit longer, its just plecos produce so much waste they could do with big tanks so they don't ruin the water quality.

Do you have any pics of Mr. Dinosaur? :p

12. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

not yet but I will soon he's really cool when my fake plants get dirty he likes to bust through them and get the algea all over him and then he clings the the wall glowing in green. I freaked out the first time I saw it. But pictures hopefully after work :) I'll try to get photos of everyone in the tank, and you'll have to keep in mind that I'm working on getting ahold of some decorations so it looks rather blah right now haha.

13. platy ben

Haha :) Looking forward to pics! :D

14. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

photo is posted on a thread in the photos section :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice