Thought things were going great... Until I noticed what appears to be ich

Mandie311

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I only notice the spots on the fins of one silver male molly. Should I quarantine or treat the whole tank? Everyone else looks fantastic but if ich is in the tank is it pointless to quarantine?
Ugh I don't even know what to treat with or what to do that is safe for all fish. He isn't flashing or anything :-/

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post a pic so we may help identify the issue if you're not certain.

If it is ich, I'll add that I've successfully treated ich using the heat treatment suggested by the above poster. Grab another heater if you're unable to get the temp consistently high enough.

Did you add someone to the tank recently? Ich can hide on new fish, or lay dormant in the tank, just waiting for the right conditions to break out. Stress, temperature, parameters, etc. can cause a breakout.

Good thing that you're on the ball and noticed it early. If you treat it early, you're more likely to get it under control before any losses.

I'm sorry you're dealing with it, but I wish you the best of luck!

Mandie311

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is very camera shy and I can not get a pic that shows the spot. I am noticing them on his tail fun and side fins. It's looks like very small white dots, there aren't a ton and no other fish are infected. I can't tell if they are on his body because he's a white fish!
Currently my water is at 79, I have Australian rainbowfish and I don't believe I can go any warmer :-/ I have a ten gal quarantine tank I could put them in... I don't know how happy they would be :-/

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can't try the heat method due to your fish (not sure about rainbow fish) than I would recommend Kordon Ich Attack. It is natural based medication that is safe for your beneficial bacteria and most inverts. It also treats any fungus in the tank as well, which sometimes will pop up when fish are stressed. As others suggested, I would not quarantine, as the Ich spreads through the tank and substrate. Other fish may already have it and just not showing signs yet. Ich Attack is a good start and is safe for almost all tank inhabitants.

Mandie311

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! You said safe for most inverts? The only ones I have are snails, is it safe for them?

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
do the heat method i dont see anything in your tank info that you should worry about. 88f is not to high for almost all tropical fish. the rainbow fish should be fine, im sure they get pretty warm water in australia.

CoryCats

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you move anything from the infected tank (fish, equipment ETC) you are running the risk of spreading the ich around to the other tanks and then when you move them back to the original tank you could infect them again. Most fish should be able to handle to 86* for a little while.

PlecoPride

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had ich a couple of weeks ago. Its a pain. I used a liquid medicine, and treated until the ich was gone and continued for a week after that. You do not want to QT for ich. Ich is a parasite, and in the later stages of it your fish will rub up against things and it will loosen the parasite from itself and the parasite will fall into the substrate, so if one fish has it, it is likely it is already in your substraight.

Ich can be stressful, I was afraid I would loose some of my guys. Don't worry though you will get through it. Plus you have this forum full of great knowledgeable members. At least that is what I have encountered in my short time here.

PlecoPride

Mandie311

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the support. Unfortunately I had to go out of town for work, was unable to treat with medicine or the heat method. No one with the fish dedication to do it for me.
I feel terrible, today I have one blue ram hiding in drift wood panting and another blue ram infected. I'm doing some research and will start some form of a treatment today.
Everything i am reading about the Australian rainbowfish is that they like water 69-77 and can withstand much cooler. Everyone else should be fine.
Then I run into treatments that involve medicine and they can either harm my inverts or hurt my labyrinth fish.
So, I guess which method would be the LEAST stressful? as it appears i'm running into a pickle in all directions

CoryCats

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A lot of people have used the best treatment with a lot of fish. You could start a thread on the rainbow fish and the heat method to see if anyone on this forum has done the heat treatment with those particular fish since you are worried. I would start treatment soon though. . . They have already had it for a few days. . .

Mandie311

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I did a 20% water change (I do it every monday) waited an hour and slowly started upping the temp. As I was putting the tops back on the tank my little female ram that had been breathing heavily all day rushed to the top, floated back down upside down and passed. Could she have died from the ich in the tank even though she had no white spots? Only two mollies are showing symptoms.

Or, do I have a whole other issue?

hillmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, I did a 20% water change (I do it every monday) waited an hour and slowly started upping the temp. As I was putting the tops back on the tank my little female ram that had been breathing heavily all day rushed to the top, floated back down upside down and passed. Could she have died from the ich in the tank even though she had no white spots? Only two mollies are showing symptoms.

Or, do I have a whole other issue?
It was most likely in her gills. Yes, what are your other parameters, heat increase time line?

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
are you sure its ick? ick is pretty easy to spot so if your not sure im guessing its not ick.

make sure you add extra air stone as warmer water has less oxygen in it.

deff test your water like suggested if you havnt. also during the ick treatment the more water changes you can do the better. everyday a 50% with gravel vac's will speed things up a lot.

Mandie311

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I upped it a degree every hour. I use seachems prime for water conditioner and ammonia, nitrites are at 0. Nitrates are at 10.

Yes, 88 degrees is high for tropical fish but I am using the heat method to try and treat ICH. Also, if I said 88 I mean 86. While it was not apparent on the ram that passed, it is very obvious on two mollies so I know there is ICH in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom