Thought tetras were peacefull Question

Discussion in 'Characins' started by sknr03, Mar 17, 2010.

1. s

sknr03 New Member Member

I cant seam to keep anything other than Pleco's in my tank with my 8 Bleedingheart tetras. Other tetras, guppies, and well any thing the same size or smaller, ends up dead. My tank has 8 tetras and two dwarf plecos. the plecos are both about 4 inchs now and my tank is a 72 gal. I experemented by putting one of the smaller tetras in with a fighting fish, in the fighting fishs tank, and the fighting fish instantly backed down and hid from the tetra. Anyone heard of anything like this?

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Fighters are not a community fish & many Tetras will beat them badly.
    Guppys are also a poor choice in a tank with Tetras as they have long fins & can't match a Tetra for speed & agility. They will get badly beaten or killed to.

Try putting some Danios in the tank with the Tetras. They are faster & more agile than the Tetras & should have no problems getting away. Also try some Black Widow Tetras. They are fast when they need to be and are very capable of standing up for themselves.

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Not all Tetras are peaceful. The ones you have are active and potential fin-nippers best not to be kept with peaceful fish or fish that have long fins like Guppies or Angelfish. Best to be kept with other active fish such as Serpae Tetra, Bloodfin Tetra and Danios would be some good tankmates. They grow to approx. 2".

Goodluck!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    s

sknr03 New Member Member

Thank you! I think I will put in a few Danios. Seamed strange though. Sure guppies are slower and less agile but 2 killed dead almost as soon as I left the room. Saw them kill the third about 8 hrs. later and the fourth still doing fine after 5 days seams weird.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice