Thought I had 2 male guppy fish...

Pancakez

So, long story short I purchased 2 "male" guppies from my local store and added them to my community tank.
One is orange and his name is Kirk, the other is black and named Spock...

Spock is a girl... Spock is pregnant.

Any advice on setting up a female tank? I was planning on breeding down the line but it looks like kirk and spock decided for me lol

Nanonanny

A tank just for her for only while she gives birth, or a permanent tank just for females?
What size you wanting to keep her in?
A 5 gallon will be fine to start depending on how many females you want to keep in the tank and if you move the males when they get big enough to not be eaten. Bigger is always better depending on your space.

A filter, light, heater and enough guppy grass for the fry to hide and feel comfortable is all you need.

Pancakez

A tank just for her for only while she gives birth, or a permanent tank just for females?
What size you wanting to keep her in?
A 5 gallon will be fine to start depending on how many females you want to keep in the tank and if you move the males when they get big enough to not be eaten. Bigger is always better depending on your space.

A filter, light, heater and enough guppy grass for the fry to hide and feel comfortable is all you need.
Just for her at the moment and later add more females. I want to get a feel for what's right before I dive in, ya know?

emeraldking

Yes, a 5g is good enough for her and her fry. A heater is not specifically needed if they are kept at a room temperature between 18°C and higher. None of my tanks have a heater. And I keep and breed livebearers (with a special focus on guppies) ever since the 1970's. So, they should be fine without a heater. Unless, it's very cold at your place.

Pancakez

Yes, a 5g is good enough for her and her fry. A heater is not specifically needed if they are kept at a room temperature between 18°C and higher. None of my tanks have a heater. And I keep and breed livebearers (with a special focus on guppies) ever since the 1970's. So, they should be fine without a heater. Unless, it's very cold at your place.
Excellent, thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

• SotaAquatics
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
FishFrenzy1
Replies
Views
Ladyglo
  • amelqvpwbf
  • Guppy