Thought Angel Had Blot/but She Laid Eggs Important

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Alvin Johnson, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Well I had one of my Angels die on Saturday she had blot and was suffering so I did the humane thing. I noticed another one of my Angels with blotted belly and thought he she was next. Well I did water change and had my UV on since Saturday afternoon. I came home from work today and well seems I am a possible grandpa.. she was not blotted she was full of eggs. Wasn’t prepared for that and they laid them on front part of aquarium glass. Likely none will survive but I will be better prepared next time now that I know I have a breeding pair.

Attached Files:

2. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Congrats on the pair. And sorry for your loss!

I bet there are a ton of eggs on the other side of that thermometer too!

3. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Yes there a lot more than I first thought. Good parents so far. I was worried my 2 bristlenose might get to them last night but they didn’t. I’m actually glad they had them at the corner of the tank, gives my other 3 angels shelter on the other 3rd of the tank.

Do you know about how long it takes eggs to hatch. 2 to 3 days is what I have read so far. I’ve had other cichlids south/Central American lay eggs and usually 2 to 3 days later I had wigglers

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Its always been 48 hours for me.

5. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Thanks I’m not sure what time they laid eggs yesterday but they were not there when I left for work in the am. My feeling is sometime late tonight tomorrow am I could have a few wigglers. That corner of tank is not in the area of filtration and is calmest part of the tank. There are a bundle of live plants right below eggs so my hope is the babies will congregate there.

6. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

If they were gone in less than 24 hours...you wont have wigglers. The parents only move them after they hatch. They dont move eggs. So they were eaten. By mom and dad or someone else in the tank.

Do you have a separate tank to grow out babies?

7. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Eggs are still attached I would say at least a hundred or more to the back of the thermometer. Mom and dad have been taking turns fanning them almost non stop. Being first batch for this pair I thought they would have eaten them by now. But they haven’t.

8. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Separate tank not yet getting it Friday night: 25 gallon to grow out. I have seasoned sponge filter so I will drop it in 25 with an air stone

9. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Oh. I misunderstood. I thought you said the eggs were not there this AM.
    You meant yesterday AM. my bad.

10. Agua86Valued MemberMember

Wow that's so cool! I hope you take tons of pics and update this thread as the babies develop. I love angels

11. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Thanks I will take pics of development. Next few days will be tense, until I have wigglers and can get them into a grow out tank.

12. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

We got wigglers. They moved them down to plant leaf.

Attached Files: