Those pesky Java Fern babies

Gvilleguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like Java Ferns, but they tend to put babies everywhere. I end up with little Javas floating throughout the tank. Last night I took some bamboo skewers and tied 9 of the little plants to the skewers using fishing line. Then I shoved the sticks into the substrate and leaned them against the glass. Gives me a chance to grow them out before deciding which tank needs them. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436724792.281642.jpg

Thomas Lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When do you detach them from the old leaf? I just had a bunch of baby java ferns die, and I think it was because I left them attached for too long.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a really good idea, I can see others doing the same thing, thanks for posting it

Mrsoctober

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm loving how curious your angels are of it!

I bought a narrow leaf Java fern that turned out to be just a bunch of leaves with no rhizome, so I just bundled them up and let them float in my tank. Now I have about 8 baby Java ferns!

Gvilleguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When do you detach them from the old leaf? I just had a bunch of baby java ferns die, and I think it was because I left them attached for too long.
Hey Thomas - I am not sure if there is an ideal time to detach them. In my case I don't usually detach them. I eventually find them floating around on their own, usually stuck in a clump of java moss.

f2002

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would never think of that on my own for a million years. But now you pointed it out it seems so obvious. That's the mark of a brilliant idea.

Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom