Those pesky Java Fern babies

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Gvilleguy, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

I like Java Ferns, but they tend to put babies everywhere. I end up with little Javas floating throughout the tank. Last night I took some bamboo skewers and tied 9 of the little plants to the skewers using fishing line. Then I shoved the sticks into the substrate and leaned them against the glass. Gives me a chance to grow them out before deciding which tank needs them. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436724792.281642.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Great idea!

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Hehe that's pretty cool

4. Thomas Lin

Thomas Lin Valued Member Member

When do you detach them from the old leaf? I just had a bunch of baby java ferns die, and I think it was because I left them attached for too long.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's a really good idea, I can see others doing the same thing, thanks for posting it :)

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Very cool idea! I need some java fern babies.... mine doesn't seem to have any.

7. Mrsoctober

Mrsoctober Valued Member Member

I'm loving how curious your angels are of it!

I bought a narrow leaf Java fern that turned out to be just a bunch of leaves with no rhizome, so I just bundled them up and let them float in my tank. Now I have about 8 baby Java ferns!

8. OP
    OP
    Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Hey Thomas - I am not sure if there is an ideal time to detach them. In my case I don't usually detach them. I eventually find them floating around on their own, usually stuck in a clump of java moss.

9. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

I would never think of that on my own for a million years. But now you pointed it out it seems so obvious. That's the mark of a brilliant idea. :)

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice