Those friends

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishcrazy99, Jul 9, 2015.

1. f

fishcrazy99 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone else has a friend or friends who keeps a tank and has kept tank for a nice chunk of their life but doesnt believe in water changes... I have a friend who currently has a 20 gallon thats overstocked, improperly stocked (4 dwarf gouramis, a common plecco and other improperly sized schools), and under filtered. They dont do water changes. Luckily the tank has hardy species. I tested their nitrates for them to try and show him how bad it was. My kit goes up to 100ppm, well the red was darker than that red, almost a brown. He claims he called his buddy up at the Chicago aquarium and his buddy told him 10% changes monthly, if that. Furthermore, my friend who lives with them also has two of her own tanks. Luckily she knows how to take care of the fish properly. Well shes on vacation and im tank sitting. Problem is that he is convinced that the recent alage bloom in her tank is due to me preforming water changes and he wont let me into the house to change the water. Her poor angelfish might croak soon. He keeps telling me how activated carbon removes ammonia and this and that blah blah blah. How does one deal with someone like this?! He wont believe the internet, he says that people are brain washed into believing the same things as everyone else and that companies like tetra make test kits to convince you the water in your tanks bad so you buy their detoxifyers. At this point ive consider buying a couple of rummy nose tetras, setting two tanks side by side with the same equipment. Cycling the tanks and then i take care of one and he takes care of the other and we will see who's fish looks better. I dont trust him to not tamper though. How do i help this guy???

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

While I've not had friends who are like that, the sad reality is that most people who don't properly educate themselves on fishkeeping carry a somewhat similar mentality.

It is very frustrating to me that a lot of people aren't willing to do a little extra work to provide a better home for their fish. Fish aren't different from other pets, their lives aren't worthless and completely disposable.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah I know these kind of friends or people. They don't take the time to research about fish and the type of care. Many people keep fish just to "look" at them and just leave them. Fish are not just to look and keep them as decorations. They need their proper care and their life is in your hands. Some people seem to get surprised when they find out what I do with my fish, such as buy all this equipment, water changes, etc. But I don't think any of my friends keep fish, and if they do they probably have a goldfish on a bowl.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

These are probably the same people who keep a dog and dont fulfill the dog's needs and instincts, such as the instinctual need to migrate (walking the dog). They are very stubborn and believe it's their way is the best way. I have several neighbors who I never see walk their dog. One of them even has a weimaraner who is grossly overweight. Back to the original topic, what makes it worse is that some Petcos have a sign that say "25% Monthly Water Changes".

5. OP
    OP
    f

Well those fish in his 20 gallon would be better off if they even bothered to do %25 monthly water changes. He doesnt believe anything but what he wants to. He will search the internet until he finds some obscene article that agrees with him. I think the only way im going to get him to understand is if i do an "experiment" where he takes care of one tank and i take care of the other and calculate total fish death

6. Dom90

Well, how are you going to have the "control" for the experiment? Also, its enough evidence when other people have fish that are dying from lack of quality care.

7. OP
    OP
    f

Its funny that you say that because they have three dogs, none of which they have managed to potty train. I dont walk my dogs to be honest but they arent over weight and they get to run around in the yard. I just cant do the walks because its so hot in flprida. They make it about a quarter mile before they are panting so hard they just want to lay down

8. Dom90

I live in Southern California where its hot and humid.. I just make sure to walk mine at 8 or 9 pm when its cool enough.

9. OP
    OP
    f

Around 8-9 its still 80+ here.

10. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You can give people advice but you can't make them take it. It is up to them whether they want to take it or not. I know it's frustrating but it is their decision. Just my opinion.....Alison

11. OP
    OP
    f

Had to endure another 2 hours today of him yelling at me about how wrong I am and generally disregarding everything I say. I mostly kept my mouth shut and waited for him to stop... but he didnt. It took a lot to hold in my frustration. In case youd like to know some of the crazy stuff he's trying to drill into my brain:

test strips are much much more accurate than liquid test kits
    to solve brown algae you stop doing water changes (claims it has something to do with protein)
    water changes should be 10% monthly if that
    all water in florida has salt in it and to get rid of it you have to let water sit for 24hrs before adding it to the tank
    Plants give off nitrate and as well as consume it
    velvet only exists in super cold climates such as alaska
    when you first start a tank dont do a water change for at least a month so the bacteria blooms
    1 inch per a gallon is an absolute rule used by all experts
    your german ram was "experiencing nitrate poisoning" at 40 ppm because you wanted to see that
    The only way to really get rid of algae is to use chemicals
    ich lives dormant in all aquariums but doesnt affect fish until they are stressed
    if you dont have aeration in your tank your plants will die
    snail slime is contributing to your algae
    your fish died from "nitrate poisoning" because they were inbred
    seaworld and a marine biologist from the Chicago aquarium told me all this, they have degrees versus the internet which fills your head with lies as phonies sit behind a computer screen
    carbon removes ammonia so you have to change your filter cartridges monthly
    siphoning your gravel removes your good bacteria
    brown algae is toxic

is there truth to ANY of this?!

Remember the friend I said I was tank sitting for? Well she gets back tomorrow and he has taken all her water change stuff and hidden it. Her angelfish that she loves to much are going to die because of his selfishness.
    If you can find any offical research findings that I might be able to show him please let me know! I'm not doing this because he is going to kill his own tank soon enough. I'm doing this because he is now messing with my best friend's tank (the one im sitting) that I know she loves to death and she cant do anything about it because she hasnt turned 18 yet.

12. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I can tell you for a fact that he is not talking to anyone at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I have known some of them, and they would never, ever suggest any of the things he is claiming. I seriously doubt that anyone at SeaWorld would, either. Basic chemistry would tell you that leaving water to sit would not get rid of salt, but concentrate it further if it were present. And I wish Velvet only occurred in really cold climates!

This person sounds unhinged. I would advise caution, and keep 911 ready on your phone when you're around him. Seriously.

13. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

There is no such thing as "The Chicago Aquarium". I can make up aquarium names too and say I have friends there. At the Sammy von Puffington Aquarium, it was confirmed by Dr. Sponge Bob Square Pants that unicorns are semiaquatic and need a diet of purple cotton candy to survive.

He needs to start naming names about which expert told him this and their credentials. Two can play this game.

P.S. Sounds like a jerk.

14. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

He really does sound like a jerk. Definitely not a very good friend if he's yelling at you for hours.

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Some fish can adapt to very poor water conditions over time. Then when the tank owner does decide to do a water change, they usually change it all at once and then the fish pass due to shock of being in fresh clean water and the owner wonders why(?).

Too, you have to take into consideration the quality of the fishes life. Chance are good the life span will be cut short one way or another without the proper care.

For future references:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...p-up-water-changes-your-fish.html#post1290981

Thanks!

Ken

16. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

You should stop fish-sitting his fish, since whatever you tell him, he won't listen to it
    If you stop and let him experience what will happen next with the fish, he'll know what he did wrong

:)

17. OP
    OP
    f

Its the Chicago shed aquarium, I'm going to ask who he talked to. Im also going to be contacting some experts that he would be foolish to argue with.

He is very stubborn i will say that much but he's also my boss so i have to watch what i say. Ive thought about just letting him kill his fish and realize hes wrong but honestly he's just gonna chalk it up to something else like bad breeding or "old" age. My bestfriend that lives with him (he is her dad) is why im trying to fix this because he is sabotaging her personal tanks that she bought and was gifted for her 17th birthday. Its just wrong of him and he needs to be set straight. He wont believe anyone on the internet, wont believe any articles, he wont believe what i tell him from personal experience, i think at this point all he will believe is someone who sends a photo copy of a degree to him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  18. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

It's always been called Shedd though, never Chicago Aquarium. I've never heard anyone call is Chicago Aquarium either who wasn't like still in primary school. It's just weird that he calls it The Chicago Aquarium. For someone who cares so much about names, it's strange that he'd get the name wrong on one of the most prestigious institutions related to fish.

Sorry he's your boss. =/

19. Dom90

Lol really... And the conflict of interest that is brewing.

20. OP
    OP
    f

I only work there 1 day a week and i only just started. It was supposed to be temporary but now he wants me to keep working there. I wish he would fire me lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice