This tank is going to drive me crazy!!!!!

Wolfman

Well last I wrote on this subject was 12 days ago. nothing has changed !!!! I need some serious help

Ammonia 8.0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 5.0
ph 7.2

I know everyone said to do 50% water changes but that's just not possible with my work schedule. I have changed the water twice since nov 12 the panda cory's "5" are still alive I have only lost 1 and that was within the first 3 days they are still eating, not as lively as when I got them but they are still moving around pretty good " I would dare to say they are not too sensitive being they have lived in ammonia levels 8.0 this long. But I am becoming frustrated what can I do to get this cycle started It is almost 7 weeks now.

P.S. The water is kinda cloudy,hazy I noticed that the filter media that the bacteria is supposed to grow on has not changed color it is still white with only a slight change in color so I took the carbon filters out to see if it helps the bacteria grow help me ya'll
Thanks wolfman

Stradius011

I never did water changes when cycling my tank. The more water changes you do, the longer it takes to cycle.

Tumbleweed

Stradius011 said:
I never did water changes when cycling my tank. The more water changes you do, the longer it takes to cycle.
This is true, but he has fish in his tank, so he has to do water changes. As for what else to do the only thing that you can do is water changes and as many and as often as you can. As for the panda cory the reason he is not as active is because he is strugling to breathe and is tired.

Gunnie

For your fishie's sake, condition your water with Amquel plus, which will not only treat for chlorine and chloramines, but it will also neutralize the ammonia and nitrites and reduce the stress on your fish. Make sure you get the plus kind. That's all I can think of right now besides more water changes. Even with using the amquel plus, I would still recommend the water changes when possible.

Isabella

I agree with Tumbleweed: it's different when you cycle with and without fish. Cycling with fish will take longer because of the water changes that one needs to perform if one wants the fish to survive and/or not to get sick. However, If Wolfman has really no time for 50% daily water changes until ammonia and nitrite = 0, then maybe Amquel will help, as Gunnie has suggested.

Wolfman

thanks for everyones advise ..let me throw one more question out there my fish are moving around pretty good they seem healthy could my test kit be faulty or old I mean 7 weeks and I haven't seen any changes in the water conditions

Gunnie

Wolfman said:
thanks for everyones advise ..let me throw one more question out there my fish are moving around pretty good they seem healthy could my test kit be faulty or old I mean 7 weeks and I haven't seen any changes in the water conditions
It's possible, but didn't you just get a master test kit within the last few months? I know there's a date somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look for it. I guess it's possible you may have gotten an old master test kit to begin with.

Wolfman

Thanks everyone for your advise, I just can't understand why it is taking so long to cycle my tank I have followed all the instructions I was given its just not going well.

Isabella

Wolfman said:
Thanks everyone for your advise, I just can't understand why it is taking so long to cycle my tank I have followed all the instructions I was given its just not going well.
Well, the cycle takes about a month on average, which means it may take shorter or longer than that. It depends on every individual tank. Just be patient - it has to cycle no matter what! How long have you been cycling this tank so far? Besides, what filter do you have?

Wolfman

7 weeks and I have 2 aqua-tech HOB filters rated for 30-60 gallons each. Both filters have a carbon filter and the fiber for bacteria. My tank is 55 gallons

myfishskip

Gosh!! Your Ammonia is really high my liquid test kit only goes up to 5mg.
You only have 5 fish in a 55 gallon too hmmm it sounds really bizarre that you are still seeing those reading I will have to search your original post...
Are you feeding them tons of food that is making it so high??? Have you been doing a gravel vac?
Even though you are cycling a light gravel vac will really help and not do damage.
Maybe you can try and start over somewhat.
The way I cycled my 20 gallon was with 5 very small fish I did 10 percent water changes every day from day 2 after 1.5 weeks I started to lightly gravel vac when I saw a slight ammonia spike it went from 0 to 0.25 stayed at 0.25 for 4 days and then went back to zero I did two 15% water changes on two of the 4 days and 10% on the other two days... So basically after 2 weeks my ammonia was 0 and my nitrite was kicking in my tank was fully cycled by 1 month
I'm in no way an expert but your perameters to me sound literally off the chart I was panicing when I saw a tiny change in color off the 0 in my chart..
I hope you can get your tank back under control it sounds like your test kit isn't working right or you are feeding waaay too much or the 2 x 50% water changes didn't cut it. ???
I'm sorry it must be very frustrating if I were you I would somehow try and start over or get another Ammonia test kit and see but with the water still being cloudy it may well be right?

Timesdragonfly

Another thought! One of the reasons I had problems cycling my tank was b/c I was rinsing out my filter media in tap water. Tap water killed most of the bacteria, and thus the cycle couldn't finished. Filter media should be rinsed in water from your water change. your just trying to get the big chunks off. You only change the filter media when you HAVE to, not every month like it says on the package... don't know if you're doing any of this, but it caused my tank not to finish the cycle!

Wolfman

thanks for all the tips. No I haven't been feeding the fish a lot actully I have cut there food back quite abit I am now feeding them on a piece of slate so I can be sure of the amount to feed. and no I haven't wash the media's in tap water I have only cleaned them once and that was with tank water I took out of the tank and yes I have been cleaning the gravel. I have only had the fish in for 3 weeks. any other idea's

Thanks for your support

Isabella

Looks like you're doing everything right Wolfman ... I guess all you can do is continue waiting? It has to end sometime!

hopesmom

maybe you have a lfs that is reputable and would check your water for you, and write down the readings to compare to your kit readings at home..that way you don't have to buy a new kit, if it isn't necessary.
It does seem to take forever to cycle...but it will!
Maybe buy some bio spira if you can't wait any longer. I hear it is magic.
Continue doing as many water changes as possible...that worked for me in keeping my fish alive during cycling.
best wishes!
denise

myfishskip

Hey I read your original post about how you started your cycle I also think all you can do is wait it out hopefully your fishies will survive and you can start to enjoy your tank.
I agree about it not hurting to go to your LFS for another opinion however don't be tempted with all those cute fish in the store.. lol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom