This Sucks :/

Adriifu

Well, I’ve come across yet another problem in my 55-gallon tank. A population explosion of Malaysian trumpet snails. It’s awful to look at when I turn the lights on in the morning. The worst part is that they’re depriving my fish of oxygen. Now every single platy is gasping at the surface. I lowered the temperature, added another filter, and also added a powerhead and air stone. Removed several baby mystery snails as well and gave them to my LFS. It’s been a few hours since I noticed and they’re still doing it. I was going to attempt to manually remove the snails, but they’re way too small. I’m gonna try the lettuce method and will also fast my tank for a week. I don’t know what else to do. I was gonna buy some assassin snails, but none of my pet stores have any in stock. I was also worried about them killing my mystery snails and yellow rabbit snails, as I breed those on purpose. If anyone could help or just provide some comfort, that’s be nice. Thanks

Goldiemom

I’m having an explosion of them too right now. I take a net with tiny holes and pull them out. I then throw them in my pond as a tasty snack for my Goldie’s. I do it almost everyday. Aggravating!

Repolie

I would just be ticked off seeing many tiny snails crawling around that I would just keep some desired snails for breeding and then turn it into a temporary brackish tank to kill the rest of the snails. I can't stand tiny crawling snails!

Adriifu

I’m having an explosion of them too right now. I take a net with tiny holes and pull them out. I then throw them in my pond as a tasty snack for my Goldie’s. I do it almost everyday. Aggravating!
I was going to attempt that with my net, but the grains of sand are too large. Thanks for the response!

Adriifu

I would just be ticked off seeing many tiny snails crawling around that I would just keep some desired snails for breeding and then turn it into a temporary brackish tank to kill the rest of the snails.
That’s such a good idea! I even have the salt. Unfortunately, the tank also has corydoras

Fashooga

Try not feeding the tank for a week and see if that will help reduce the population.

Adriifu

Try not feeding the tank for a week and see if that will help reduce the population.
Thanks I usually leave spinach in the tank for my pleco and the platies. Should I remove that?

Adriifu

OKAY: I have either a really good or really bad idea. The snails come to the top of the sand at night and stay under it in the morning. What I’m doing right now is collecting sand in a bucket. I’m turning the lights off around the bucket so they come to the top. That way it’ll be easier to take them out and kill them. Idk if that makes sense or not. I’ll see if it works.

nospaces

Theres some "snail traps" that I've seen going around? I know there's one you can make from a water bottle!

GoldfishGuy

The problem with snail traps is that you are likely to catch small thin fish.

I would try to make one with a more narrow neck.

Adriifu

The problem with snail traps is that you are likely to catch small thin fish.

I would try to make one with a more narrow neck.
That’s true. I have fry from the platies. I removed about thirty of the snails today. Will do the same manual process tomorrow. The lettuce didn’t do anything. Hopefully this will work for now. I’m also hoping the oxygenation is okay. Anyone know how long it takes for it to increase?

MissRuthless

Fish can go a loooong time without food, like 2-3 weeks at least, so don’t worry about fasting them for awhile. It won’t make the snails go away, but it will help keep the population from continuing to explode - they thrive in tanks that are overfed; otherwise they don’t have enough food to spawn prolifically.

I would keep searching high and low for assassin snails - maybe your LFS can order some for you. I couldn’t get them under control, even after throwing out the substrate, until I got the assassins to eat them. They won’t try to eat a mystery snail or anything that big unless they’re starving. There are also fish that eat them, though you’d obviously be limited by your current stock. I had keyhole cichlids who hunted them down all day, and they were cool little fish with a lot of personality too.

LeviS

You could also research a pea puffer to see if he would thin the population. I’ve seen they are very hard to get rid of. There is a video on YouTube where a guy cleaned a tank with bleach as an experiment and still had the substrate. The MTS were still alive due to them being able to close off their shell(trap door) whatever scientific name for it is and wait it out for better conditions.
I purposely added 2 to my 20 long dirted tank to keep gas pockets from forming and have only seen one once or twice since I got them.

Adriifu

Fish can go a loooong time without food, like 2-3 weeks at least, so don’t worry about fasting them for awhile. It won’t make the snails go away, but it will help keep the population from continuing to explode - they thrive in tanks that are overfed; otherwise they don’t have enough food to spawn prolifically.

I would keep searching high and low for assassin snails - maybe your LFS can order some for you. I couldn’t get them under control, even after throwing out the substrate, until I got the assassins to eat them. They won’t try to eat a mystery snail or anything that big unless they’re starving. There are also fish that eat them, though you’d obviously be limited by your current stock. I had keyhole cichlids who hunted them down all day, and they were cool little fish with a lot of personality too.
Thanks for the response! I would also be worried about adding any fish, as I was planning on breeding the platies and keeping the fry. I am breeding my mystery snails, so there are much smaller ones in there as well. Do you think the assassins would go after those? I was thinking they would be more attracted to the trumpets.
You could also research a pea puffer to see if he would thin the population. I’ve seen they are very hard to get rid of. There is a video on YouTube where a guy cleaned a tank with bleach as an experiment and still had the substrate. The MTS were still alive due to them being able to close off their shell(trap door) whatever scientific name for it is and wait it out for better conditions.
I purposely added 2 to my 20 long dirted tank to keep gas pockets from forming and have only seen one once or twice since I got them.
Thanks! I considered adding a certain species of fish, but like the assassin snails, I’d be worried they would kill the snails I actually like.

Adriifu

Hello! I just grabbed a bunch of sand today and found three of the biggest trumpets. Do any of you know the sexual maturity of these snails? I’ll get a picture of them. There’s a tiny one in there as well. If they don’t breed when they’re as small as the baby, then perhaps these three are why I’ve had a population explosion?
Edit: I feel bad for killing the big ones. They’re so pretty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 79

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PeachesPanTao
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies