This should work, right?

PAcanis

The first tank I got was my 27g cube. And the LFS sold me a Finnex 20" to fit the tank. And it was good.
I like the stock 24/7 program, although I feel it dawdles too much coming up to speed (full power) and shutting down. But I like the controller and time increments better than my Hygger.

I also built a 24g high. And I bought a Hygger 24/7 that fit the 24" long tank. And I don't like the controller itself, but I like the way it gets up to speed and shuts down MUCH better than the Finnex. And it's much brighter. The only thing I really don't like is the bracket that holds it on the tank. It does not "grab" onto the sides. Not like the Finnex. If I had a cat I would not trust the light to stay where I want it. Not without taping the cord and the brackets. And I also just found out the Finnex brackets can be adjusted to fit a shorter tank. Whereas the Hygger cannot.

The Finnex is only 16.8w.
The Hygger is 22w.
Clearly light manufacturers are not accounting for deeper cubes. If I had 22 watts shining into the 27g it would look much better. Almost like a low iron glass tank. I wish I could swap these two lights, but like I said, the Hygger cannot fit a smaller tank the way the brackets are designed.

Enter my new Waterbox Cube20.
I was really wanting a gooseneck type light for this tank, but am not finding one in the wattage I want nor my price range. Or with decent reviews.
So I'm looking at my current Finnex and the actual LEDS don't start for a couple inches on each side... I'm thinking I can move that light over to my Cube20, which measures 18", and the 16.8w should be enough. The tank itself is 4" lower. Lower than my 20g high. And with the low iron glass of the Waterbox it will seem brighter. At least as far as viewing.

Then I'll get a 24" Finnex for my 27g cube. That should work the same way moving the brackets in to fit my 20" wide tank and it will increase the wattage to 24.5. That should give my 27g cube a whole new look.

The downside is that I don't like the stock program as well as the Hygger. And I prefer not to try to set up a custom program.
But the upside is it's a higher quality light.

Are you still with me? :)
Does this sound like a plan?
Is there another lighting option for the Cube 20 I'm not finding? But that will leave me with a light I think is too low powered on the 27...

PAcanis

Well, in light of no one seeming to have any experience with using longer lights than a tank was designed for to gain wattage, or having any recommendations for the 20g cube, I went ahead and ordered the 24" long light for my 20" tank.
If it blows me away with the extra wattage, then I'll call that a win. If I have light spilling over the outside, I'll put tape over it. The only thing I won't know for a while is if I'll like the current 20" light on the 18" tank. Not until it's up and running.

kallililly1973

What if you put it corner to corner so all the light stays inside the tank?

PAcanis

What if you put it corner to corner so all the light stays inside the tank?

I don't know if my OCD would allow for that, lol.
But I can't see adjusting the legs to be able to do that anyway.
Good outside the box thinking though. Thanks for the reply.

PAcanis

Wow! Night and day difference with the extra wattage.
16w to 24.5 made a HUGE difference to my 27 gallon cube. And the light hanging beyond the sides is no big deal. Not an eyesore at all.
Finnex definitely knows how to make the legs for their LED lights. But I've yet to see any of the screws they advertise. Not that they are needed.

I'll have to snap a pic when the room is darker. See if I can do a before and after.

All that's left to see is if the 16w will suffice for the new Waterbox Cube20.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mxnewss
Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies