This One's Gonna Hurt

Discussion in 'bolivianbaby' started by bolivianbaby, Mar 18, 2010.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Dracula, my red betta has been slowing down lately. As of October 2009, we've had him three years.

This afternoon, I got home and he's laying on his side. He didn't greet me with his usual "feed the betta" dance. There's not a mark on him. He's just as beautiful, if not more so, than the day we brought him home.

He is one of my very special babies who has had a place in my heart since he came home with us. My heart is aching that Drac's time with us may be ending. I hope I'm wrong, but something inside me is saying that I'm not.

I've had several bettas over the years, but only one other has affected my heart like Drac. His name was Lestat and he'd hand feed. I brought him home shortly after my daughter's first birthday. He was with us for four years.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry. :(

Hopefully he's just giving you a scare- they are good at that!

3. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

:;group:;group BB :;group:;group

4. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear about Dracula.

5. CHoffman

CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry BB. I know just the thought of losing him probably makes you sick. I'm sending good thoughts to you and Dracula! :;group

6. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, everyone:;hug2 Knowing that I have your support and that I'm not alone with this is awesome.

He's upright again, on the bottom of the tank. He's still not swimming around. I'm hoping his "senior citizen moment" passes and I have some more time with him.

7. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

UPDATE: I came downstairs from doing water changes and he was "wrapped" around the filter intake. He looked at me totally confused like "how did this happen?" I turned off the filter until I get a sponge around the intake. My proud, strong boy is not handling this well. I think it's catching him by surprise. His body is weakening, but his mind is just as sharp as it's ever been, which is only increasing his confusion.

8. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry. :( I hope he gets better.

9. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

Its always harder when you know the end is near. Best wishes.

10. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:'( I'm so sorry.

11. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

He didn't eat his bloodworms last night:(. That's usually his favorite meal of the week.

12. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear Drac is not well BB. Let's just hope he has aquatic man flu and he gets better. My thoughts are with you.
    Nick

13. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww BB im so very sorry :( but I will say this, in my next life im going to be one of your fish! drac is one lucky boy considering where he could have been ...im sending you allot of prayers!

14. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

I' sorry to hear this BB.....thankfully hes been in the best possbile hands and has the very best of care

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  15. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

UPDATE: He passed on shortly after we got home this evening. I think he wanted to see us one last time before he left. RIP Drac. We love you.

16. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry BB

Rip
    Dracula
    Swim freely little fishy

CB

17. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry you lost him. :(

18. red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

so sorry for you loss.:(

19. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh No BB :( <HUGS>
    RIP Drac. You were loved and you'll be missed :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice