This Mildew Type Stuff Keeps Building Up In Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ethan Cary, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Ethan CaryNew MemberMember

So idk if this is algae mildew mold or whatever, but it continues to grow on my aquarium decorations, gravel, and walls. What is it and how do I get rid of it? Is it because of ammonia levels being too high? I'm kinda new to fish keeping. [​IMG]

2. BriggsWell Known MemberMember

The brown stuff? It looks like diatoms, which pretty common in new tanks. You can scrub it off, but there's not much you can do to stop it. Mostly you just wait it out and it'll run out of whatever it's feeding off of after a few months. Nerite snails are pretty good about eating it if you want some help with cleaning it in the meantime.

3. Ethan CaryNew MemberMember

Ok. I might think about nerite snails. Thanks for the help!

4. BriggsWell Known MemberMember

No problem! If your ammonia is high right now, though, I'd wait until your tank has fully established it's nitrogen cycle before adding snails.

Filter floss is useful for wiping it off glass, and I've found that a new cheap tooth brush is best tool for removing it off decorations. Use it to scrub the worst off right before a water change, then suck the lose stuff out with a siphon or gravel vac. Just make sure to not mix the brush in with the ones you actually brush your teeth with!

5. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Nerites don't eat it here. It seems to go with the local water here - I get it in my tanks, but also in the house plumbing. It isn't bothered by chlorine.

6. Ethan CaryNew MemberMember

Ok. I have been using a new toothbrush to scrape it off so that's good. I just hope it eventually goes away. I will add snails eventually just to keep it from starting again