this might sound like a dumb question but I gotta ask.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok now this may sound like a dumb question but I gotta know. Today I wanted to do my weekly Pwc but before I did that went to riteaid to get myself something tasty to drink . When I came back down my street I found much to my chagrin that united water had just come in and cracked open every fire hydrant on the street. Not only on my street but the whole block. This made me a little nervous. I didn't wanna be putting into my aquarium's without a little input first. They said they were just flushing out the system. Am I just being a nervous nelly or am I rightfor not doing my pwc today.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the water quality in your tank is good at the moment, I would give it a miss. Usually when the mains get flushed they use all sorts of **** to clean out the garbage in the pipes. Over here they use DDT to flush out crustaceans & other bits & pieces that get into the pipes. Give it a few days to a week before you use the water for an aquarium again.

If you have no choice but to do the water change now, either consider bringing in water from a friend house who is on different water supply or at the very least run the tap for 5-10mins before using any of the water. If you contact your local water board they should be able to tell you what they use to flush the pipes & might even be nice enough to tell you when they plan on doing it next.

WARNING: I had a major fish kill a while back because of pipes in my area being flushed without my knowledge. It can be very risky to use the water without at least letting the tap run flat out for a few minutes.

EDIT: There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only arrogant people that don't think they need to ask.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well here are my last water parameters taken today.40 gal ph 7.4 ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate(reason I wanted to do my pwc) is at 30ppm I didn't like seeing that. 76f
My 30 gal is at 7.6ph ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 15ppm. Everyone is still happy lookin n ofcourse HUNGRY. Temp 79 f

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like both of them will need a water change within a week being planted. I would find a few large containers that you can use to bring water from a friends house (in a different area). If that isn't an option try to get on the website for your local water supplier & find out if they have the details of the flushing on their site somewhere. Try specifically to find out what they used to flush the system. If you can't bring in water from another source & can't find out the info about the flushing, I would leave the water change until tommorow & then run the tap for several minutes before doing a water change. It would also pay to just do a few smaller water changes over a few days to try to stop the nitrates going up anymore rather than doing one big change to try to bring the nitrates down. After a week or so you should be safe to go back to your regular water change shedule.

Check the tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, GH, KH & PH in a week to see if any of the parameters have changed & by how much befoer you continue with your usual weekly water changes.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I think I'm just gonna go and buy some Poland spring. I think my nitrates are so high because I'm not getting the gravel as clean as I would like. I think that's because I have a real cheap basically ineffective gravel vacuum. I gonna look at foster and smiths for a new one. Now I understan gh But what is kh? Btw nice to see ya again nutter. How is everything with you?
Does api make a liquid test for these?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes API make liquid test kits for GH & KH. You can buy both as a set or seperately.

Rather than me try to explain KH & it's relationship with PH to you, it is probably easier if you read this link:

All is well with me. Trying to quit smoking & using Fishlore to keep my mind & fingers busy.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahhhh smoking... I used to do that a whole pack and a half a day. I used the patch and always kept hard candy,chewing gum, straws, sweedish fish on hand. It is hard but sooooo worth the effort. You will be amazed how much better you start to feel man. I'm rooting for ya! And once again man thanks for the info it is much appreciated. My fishies are all giving ya a big fins up!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I roll my own. 2 large packets of White Ox (very strong) every week. I'm wearing 3 patches & chewing nicotine gum like it's going out of style. When I'm not chewing the gum I'm eatting something else. I don't think I've ever eaten so much in my life. Hopefully this time I will be able to quit for good. (tried twice before).

Hopefully the water supply out your way clears back up soon so that your fish can get back into their regular rythm.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well nicotine is a stimulant and one of the effects of a stimulant is supression of appatite. Oh n by the way everything is gonna start to taste way better! I probably gained about twenty pounds through the whole ordeal. Please be careful using nrt (nicotine replacement therapy) the patch as I'm sure you know is a transdermal medication and continues to enter your blood stream for up to four hours after tmyiu take the patch off. And using more than one can make you sick. Especially if you have more than one method of nrt used at the same time. Just be easy man. I know ya probably like to bite someones head off but that feeling too shall pass.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did I read you correctly about the use of DDT? That is insane! DDThas been banned from use here in the U.S. Since the early fifties! I don't even think it is legal to produce here. They found out it causes cancer. But then again so does everything else according to the state of California. The military won't even use it in tropical environents to prevent vector transmitted disease that's how bad it is!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tempers doing ok & yeah I know about all the warnings that go with NRT. My doc has ok'd what I'm doing at the moment & he has a plan in place to reduce the use of the patches & gum over the coming weeks. I don't mind gaining some weight, I'm too skinny anyway.

Thanks for the support Karl.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
My tempers doing ok & yeah I know about all the warnings that go with NRT. My doc has ok'd what I'm doing at the moment & he has a plan in place to reduce the use of the patches & gum over the coming weeks. I don't mind gaining some weight, I'm too skinny anyway.

Thanks for the support Karl.
Keep it up bro, I quit last year on july 1st after 14 years of smoking (1pack/day, used the patch as NRT as well), was the best (and hardest) decision I've ever made in my life.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey man I'm herefor ya if ya want to give me a shout ya know. It's great that you have your doc's help. I tell you what, I wish I had thought to go to mine when I decided to quit. I just went in for my yearly and let her know I quit. She was so happy she hugged me! Which I didn't mind at all hehehe. What's Australia like? I've never been. I have been to Korea,Honduras,China and Affrica oh yeah and Canada too.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the support Karl & Jeta.

Australia is a fantastic place. Friendly people (mostly), great weather (also mostly), fantastic wildlife, plenty of open spaces, great fishing & some of the best countryside you could ever hope to see. I would never dream of living anywhere else. But of course I would say that, wouldn't I? Well worth the flight from America.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well Australlia is on my five year list of vacation spots. Maybe next year or the year after I plan to see it.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every spring and fall water mains are normally flushed.
Here the tell tell sign is the smell of chlorine.

Brian

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah smells like a public pool. Real heavy of chlorine!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads