This Makes Me Sad

1. guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppies Valued Member Member

2. mclemente06

mclemente06 Valued Member Member

Bettas are treated horribly, and companies like top fin will do anything to profit off of people that don't understand this is abuse. This is why I always encourage people to buy bettas from places where they keep them in cups (petsmart and petco, lookin at you) and put them in a suitable tank, 5.5 gallons at least. Heated. Filtered. There need to be laws about this...

I'm reading the reviews now...there are a few people trying to tell others to stay away, but others are putting up positive reviews that are very upsetting.

3. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppies Valued Member Member

I think as we progress as a society, eventually, we will start seeing more Bettas in tanks and stores and less in cups. They could set up some big tanks, put in dividers so that each Betta would be separate from the others, and give each Betta at least 2.5 gallons (ideally more).

Additionally, PetSmart's tanks for housing their fish are often overcrowded and they use strips to test the water. I would like to see those things change. But I bet they don't even test the water in the Betta cups. And I bet that if the Bettas get water changes, they are 100% water changes where the employees just fill a new cup with new (maybe dechlorinated) water and transfer the Betta over.

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Topfin keeps outdoing itself in making grossly tiny tanks.

5. susieq21

susieq21 New Member Member

being new to fish keeping, i was ALWAYS ALWAYS under the impression that bettas could be kept in a glass bowl with no heater, no filter. I think it is so great that there are forums like this one to educate beginners because I was shocked upon doing my research. :) thanks to the vets who are educating the noobies in the hobby!

6. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

This is terrible. Not only is it only 1 gallon, they are encouraging people to put a betta in essentially 1/3 of a gallon.

7. Blue Bea

Blue Bea Valued Member Member

It's awful! Have you seen the one with three tiny cubes that they advertise for bettas? It's horrible. My daughter (who is the betta person) gets so mad about it. She told me today that some people have betta "collections" with each one in a Mason jar. Just terrible.

8. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Valued Member Member

But if you do this aren't you just supporting these kinds of inhumane practices? Why not direct people to buy Bettas from online breeders or vendors that actually treat them well?

9. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I like their "Caution: this tank is only appropiate for bettas" as if they cared about the fish lol!

10. Rainbowfish27

Rainbowfish27 New Member Member

I know! I went to petco and my heart was aching when I saw the tiny topper ware they keep them in. :( My fiance didn't want to get a betta but I had to save at least one. That's where my username comes from. I found a kind of sparkly, purple, pinkish, and bluish betta I named him rainbow. He reminded me of the rainbow fish book from my childhood.

11. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I actually went to a pet store the other day that impressed me with their bettas. Each betta was in a little cup yes. However, the cups were made to fit into their shelf, complete with a little air or filtration line to each cup. Each one also had a spring of hornwort with in it. A sign said "does not include cup". Only bad thing is most of them had severe fin rot or torn fins.

12. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Some people dont care about anything but money.

13. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Valued Member Member

I like this idea. If I had a fish store I'd do it. But chain stores like Petsmart and Petco can't because space for fish is already limited enough, without adding some huge tanks just for Bettas.