This isnt a nerite snail

mc12345

I just bought some nerite snails from petco and I don't even think the guy checked to see what type they were. 2 are obviously nerite snails but I have no idea what this 3rd one is. Can anyone help identify the brown and black one with spots?
20210605_210734.jpg
20210605_210716.jpg

ChrissFishes01

Looks like a nerite snail to me. Nerite snails come in a super wide variety of shapes, colors, and sizes - there are quite a few species of snails that we put under the moniker of "Nerite", and within each one of those species is several variants, whether they're manmade or natural.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I can't remember what the morph is called but that is a nerite, that particular morph is actually pretty hard to come by so congrats

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Those are Zebra Nerites.

Upvote 0

mc12345

I can't remember what the morph is called but that is a nerite, that particular morph is actually pretty hard to come by so congrats
I've had the zebra nerites in the past and I also have a tiger nerite I got a while ago. The one with the spots looked a lot different so I didn't think it was even a nerite snail. I just asked for the biggest ones they had for my 75 gallon. The guy didn't even check to see if they were alive or if they were empty either. Guess I just got lucky that this particular snail was the biggest they had lol. Hopefully they can help with the brown algae in my tank.

Upvote 0

FishareFriends6

I think the other one is a military helmet nerite that has had loads of nerite snail eggs removed from its shell.

Upvote 0

mc12345

I think the other one is a military helmet nerite that has had loads of nerite snail eggs removed from its shell.
Interesting. I was wondering what those spots were. Funny enough when I brought them home and put them in a container with some of my tank water, one of the zebra nerites was riding on its back too. I've had nerite snails in the past and have never seen either of these things before lol.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Interesting. I was wondering what those spots were. Funny enough when I brought them home and put them in a container with some of my tank water, one of the zebra nerites was riding on its back too. I've had nerite snails in the past and have never seen either of these things before lol.
Mine ride around on each other all the time. I thought those were egg "ghost" spots and didnt think the OP may not have known...oops. lol

Upvote 0

mc12345

Mine ride around on each other all the time. I thought those were egg "ghost" spots and didnt think the OP may not have known...oops. lol
I mean I've had nerite snails in the past but never have seen those markings. Now I know lol

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

As far as i know that one snail is a completely separate color morph but now I'm second guessing myself :D Someone posted one here the other day and referred to it by a separate name

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Lpedwards
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
  • Question