This is unreal

1. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That's AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

3. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

wow...

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Isn't that just amazing? I about died laughing when the one got its tentacles on a pair of coconut halves and sealed itself in, and then again with the half-buried shelter made of two coconut halves.

5. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

That is hilarious!!. He liked that coconut!!. They are sooooo stinking smart though.

6. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

That's one of the most amazing things. These creatures are at least as smart as many of the other animals that we consider to be self aware, but they're the only invertebrates on that list.
    Using a coconut half for a shelter isn't all that big of a deal (though it shows what is likely a relatively recent innovation on the part of the octopus, since it's not likely that they would have often run across coconut halves before humans started using bladed implements to cut them in half), but stacking two halves and running off with them simultaneously is enormous.

7. Shadowbeam Member Member

Fantastic! I especially love the bit where the octy 'hugs' the camera ;)
    I remember watching a program on said creatures where they could navigate a glass maze, and remember where they had been, to get food :D

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

That's insane!!

9. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Haha I just saw that earlier and did a brief blog post on it. :)

10. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, It's amazing to me how smart they are!. It makes you wonder if their thought process is like ours, ya know. Are they like "hmmmm, now if I move this weird thing this way and this one this way they fit together and then I can run like mad away from this weird upright living creature"..lol..I just wish I knew what the thought process was. But really it's just so funny to see him run like that.

11. scatty Member Member

Hahaha! that is very cool, thanks for sharing.

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Loved it! Thanks!
    Ken

13. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Great video glad you posted it.

Brian

14. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing That was hilarious and just so cool! Thanks for Sharing.

15. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

OH man - I lol'ed So hard when he first scampers off with it. :D

I agree that the part that astounded me the most was how they had the forethought to take two halves if they found them, then stack them, then run. Serious higher level cognition. Amazing creatures!

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thay is really cool!
    Carol

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

hahahhahaha! that was amazing! at first i was like... "Im gonna laugh so hard if he picks it up and crawls away..."and lo and behold it happend LOL i wonder what type of octopus that is...

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've heard they are the most difficult fish to keep, only because of how hard it is to keep them contained. Definitely the smartest fish in the sea.

19. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw, man I laughed so hard, I saw this on a website earlier but it had no video only pics. I sooo did not expect it to run off the way it did, if you have not seen this vid - watch it NOW!!

20. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Seriously, when I read "octopus grabs coconut shell and runs," I had absolutely no idea how literally they meant it. I still bust out laughing when I watch it.